Thursday, July 31, 2008

Going to Georgia...


We're going to Georgia for a week, to see our families.   We're going to surprise my father-in-law for his 70th birthday.  

Meanwhile, I thought I'd leave a tribute to Georgia in the form of a Flannery O'Connor quote.  I really can't think of anyone who I think understands the South better than she does:

"Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers particularly have a penchant for writing about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one.  To be able to recognize a freak, you have to have some conception of the whole man, and in the South the general conception of man is still, in the main, theological.  That is a large statement, and it is dangerous to make it, for almost anything you say about Southern belief can be denied in the next breath with equal propriety.  But approaching the subject from the standpoint of the writer, I think it is safe to say that while the South is hardly Christ-centered, it is most certainly Christ-haunted.  The Southerner, who isn't convinced of it, is very much afraid that he may have been formed in the image and likeness of God."  

The photo above is of the church where my great-grandparents are buried.  After I published it, I realized how very much it contrasts with my header photo.  I like the contrast.

3 comments:

laurel said...

I hope you have a wonderful time in the Peach State! :)

Anonymous said...

Well. I didn't bother to come over here because I knew you were leaving, but now I see that you posted a "going away" post. I hope you're having a nice time down south.

I love the church photo, and the Flannery O'Connor is interesting and fits with some of what you've said in the past. Having never even set food in the south, I have no idea... :-)

Susan

Gumbo Lily said...

I love that church door photo. In fact, I have seen a painting by a local artist that has an old wood door with a crusty knob. I like it.

Have a wonderful time Down South!

Jody