Thursday, July 24, 2008

Father Schmemann on slowness and education

"I am quite convinced that the fundamental error of the contemporary man is his belief that thanks to technology...he can squeeze into a given time much more than before, whereas it's really impossible.  Man becomes the slave of his always growing work. There is a need for rhythm, detachment, slowness.  Why can't students grasp all they're taught?  Because they do not have time to become conscious of, to come back to, what they heard, to let it really enter their minds.  A contemporary student registers knowledge, but does not assimilate it; therefore that knowledge does not "produce" anything.  A downpour of rain is immeasurably less useful for a drought than a thin, constant drizzle!  But we are all the time under a thunderous downpour--of information, report, knowledge, discussions, etc.  And all of these flow around us, never sticking to us, immediately pushed away be the next deluge." (The Journals of Father Alexander Schmemann, Friday, September 30, 1977)

5 comments:

laurel said...

Isn't that the truth!! And, probably even more so, some thirty years later. We need wide margins, don't we?

Anonymous said...

That's a favorite passage of mine. But I think I could say that about half the book... :-) I like the joy quote below, too. There's a lot of stuff on joy in the journals.

I just love this book!
Susan

Laura A said...

Absolutely, Laurel! This is one reason I love summer. I think one reason we started homeschooling was to have some margin. And I find that I have to be pretty ruthless to keep it, because the margins fill in for homeschoolers, too. It means we miss out on things sometimes, but oh, well! I think in the long run we will have made the right choice.

And Susan, thanks for recommending this book! It really has been the highlight of my last couple of weeks, and I'm sure I'll come back to it. I'm reflecting on many of the passages in my prayer journal, but it takes a lot of time (as he says!) to assimilate knowledge, so most of it will probably never make its way to this blog or anywhere else but my journal. I'm a very slow thinker!

debbie bailey said...

Laura,

I'm going to order this book today! Have you read The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris?

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh so true. Thank you for sharing this with us, Laura.

Jody