Friday, July 18, 2008

If You're Open to Growth, You Tend to Grow

I have always liked what Carol Dweck has to say about motivation and intelligence, so when I read this article in the NY Times this morning, I was nodding along in agreement.


“Society is obsessed with the idea of talent and genius and people who are ‘naturals’ with innate ability,” says Ms. Dweck, who is known for research that crosses the boundaries of personal, social and developmental psychology.


“People who believe in the power of talent tend not to fulfill their potential because they’re so concerned with looking smart and not making mistakes. But people who believe that talent can be developed are the ones who really push, stretch, confront their own mistakes and learn from them.”


If You're Open to Growth, You Tend to Grow 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Carol Dweck, too. This line from the article struck me:

"people with a passion for learning who thrive on challenge and change"

because I think children start this way naturally, and adults begin to change their value system with inappropriate praise or expectations.

I think the trick for parents is to stay enough out of the way that a child can continue to love learning and set high challenges for himself. And I do think that a child keeps setting the bar higher for himself when left alone. It happens in play-- this is how he grows and develops-- and it happens in learning. I saw it with my children, and I've seen it with many other children, too.

I can't tell you how many times I saw my children do far, far more indepth, challenging learning-- truly *pursuing* something with passion-- than I would have assigned to them even in my best attempt to make things rigorous.

No reason it can't continue for a lifetime. As homeschoolers, especially, we have a perfect opportunity to allow children to develop this way fairly naturally.

Glad you posted this.
Susan

Laura A said...

Ironic, isn't it? That a child often sets the bar higher for himself, that is. I like the way you think, Susan!