
C.Z. sitting on our warm living room radiator, her favorite spot, watching it snow yesterday
It has been a busy week, which makes it hard to sit down and write an organized post, but here are a few odds and ends.
First of all, it's that cold time of year. There's always about a month-and-a-half where the weather can get so cold that it's unpleasant to be outside for long. The high temperature might not get above freezing for two weeks at a time. The high today should be 19. Of course, I do realize that discomfort in weather is a relative matter, and that Jody, for one, would probably find this weather a breeze. (Jody, I've added your town to my collection of dashboard weather widgets, just for inspiration!) And Bob likes this weather. Just to toughen his girls up, he announced from the living room earlier this week, "There is no bad weather, only wrong clothing!"
A couple of seconds later, I heard a voice mutter from the study, "When it's this cold, I prefer my outer layer to be a building."
That said, she's really quite tough.
***
And even if you're like me and don't always check up on the news, you probably know by now that a commercial plane landed in the Hudson yesterday. I remember thinking yesterday afternoon, "That's an odd low plane sound," but I'm so used to monitoring odd sounds since 2001 that when I didn't hear a crash, I forgot about it until Bob called me to let me know. Anyway, I'm extremely thankful that the pilot's skill saved all aboard, and I'm also thankful that he avoided Harlem and the Upper West Side, which it appears that he purposely did from the graphics on the NY Times website.
***
And speaking of crashes, I'm trying to learn to ski. We're going with a group of homeschoolers to the Poconos about every other week during January and February. I'm still in that stage where every time I try to turn to slow myself down, I fall, and then spend much longer than I ever spent skiing trying to get up without sliding rapidly down the hill. My goal for the year is to get out of this stage.
***
C.Z. has started physical therapy for a shoulder injury she developed over the summer while playing violin. The doctors didn't seem to be concerned at first, and we spent all fall making various adjustments to her playing, thinking they would do the trick, but the pain persisted. So now we're biting the bullet and making the trip to the therapist's twice a week. Things probably won't improve in time for her concerto competition this weekend, but she's managed to hold her own fairly well, considering. We're hoping have her completely pain free by spring.
***
Other than that, we're just trying to get into a good winter routine. I'm enjoying my mornings reading Proverbs and writing in my journal, and we're trying to get schoolwork done as happily as we can despite a lot of interruptions. Right now things are just a bit bumpy with our routine, but we'll settle in eventually.
9 comments:
that's a beautiful girl you have there...even though i can't see her face, she looks very elegant and lovely.
~ a blogging friend had her husband and bil on that plane. thank the Lord for His mercy!
Yes, I thought of you while I was watching the news photos... wow!
Hope the PT w/the shoulder helps. Gotta keep those muscles and ligaments working properly :)
Hope C. Z. recovers well, and the the competition goes well, too. I love the view of the radiator-sitter! I used to do that, too, as a kid. Warm, with a view. Mmm.
Just found your blog today through a link a friend shared with me. I read the little blurb you wrote about yourself and thought "Aha! This is one of the fictitious characters I have stewing around in my mind, waiting for the novel." I look forward to "getting to know you."
Stay warm!
I do hope therapy helps C.Z. It must be a real trial for her as from what I've gathered, playing violin is important to her. And Laura, I sympathize with you as well with the skiing. Having grown up on the (extremely) level plains of IL, lets just say that skiing and I have never gotten along well....at all! Hopefully things will improve for you!
Thanks, Tonia! I read Aimee's post from your link. It seems that was one prayed for plane, and I'm ever so glad!
Dana, PT seems to be helping some, but it's always slow to improve at first. At least now we can take a little bit of a break, which should also help.
MacBeth, C.Z. has always been a radiator sitter. She even likes to do her schoolwork there. Did you grow up in the city? I was a refrigerator sitter, which doesn't have as good of a view, but you get first dibs at breakfast!
Ha, ha, Bell! Being a fictitious character sounds like a lot of fun, so write away! Glad you're here.
I grew up in Boston...the other city. ;)
Downhill skiing.....you're a brave woman. I prefer snowshoes that clench their "teeth" into the snow and keep me on solid footing.
Jody
Such a lovely photo. Such a nice post. Be careful on those slopes! :-)
Susan
Post a Comment