I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful, but do you know what I'm looking forward to? After three Mozart concertos in two years, C.Z.'s next solo piece will be a Bach partita. (There's a link to the Grumiaux version on the right, along with her Dvorak chamber piece.) We're all looking forward to something new, even C.Z.'s teacher. Another nice thing about Bach partitas is that they're unaccompanied, so you can take them along anywhere without having to hire a pianist.
Though it's hard work and I've occasionally wondered what our lives would be like if C.Z. didn't play violin for hours every day and attend a music program every Saturday, when I listen to the students play on a day like today, and realize what a wonderful opportunity she has to get first rate training and listen to top notch performers in the city, I'm extremely thankful. Even if she doesn't become a professional musician, our lives have been changed by so much exposure to good music and the pursuit of excellence. And that is its own reward.
4 comments:
Wonderful! I played violin as a child and was respectably good at it. However, the high school I chose had no orchestra, so I never went beyond 8th grade, and never had private instruction. Whenever I hear someone play now I long to be able to pick it up again. The violin was my sister's to begin with, and now it is my niece's, assuming it even exists anymore. Ah well. It is always beautiful to hear someone play.
Hi Laura,
I've been wanting to take a few moments and introduce myself to you for quite a long time. Cindy from Alabama, an online friend of mine from a classical education homeschool group, suggested I visit your blog after I had posted about my recent voting experience in downtown Manhattan this past November. You see, we have much in common. My husband and I have lived in Manhattan for 30 years. He pastors a small church in the Village. Despite my initial objections, we have been in the process of raising and basically homeschooling our six children for nearly as long. Three of my children have graduated and are either attending college or graduate school. I continue to home educate two high schoolers and one seventh grader. Most significantly, however, all of our children are also string players. They have attended or are currently attending School for Strings, Juilliard or Mannes. Studying music has been a life shaping experience for our family too. I am wondering if our paths have crossed before, perhaps at a homeschooling meeting held at our church many years ago. I am not a blogger though I have great admiration for those who are. I am not certain how we might continue our conversation more in real time, but I would welcome a chance to discuss all of the things that we share in common--faith in Jesus Christ, commitment to homeschooling, the joys and challenges of city life, music and I am sure many other things. Oh, I also love Mark Bittman. I own a couple of cook books and read his blog whenever possible. Your blog is beautiful and I enjoy reading it whenever I have the opportunity.
Barbara
Marie, I applaud you for getting as far as you did, without ever having had any private lessons. I think one makes much quicker progress that way. My sister did something similar to what you did, and I think she got as far as a Brandenburg Concerto, but she got frustrated and gave up. And I played piano, but never at a high level. Still, playing any instrument, at whatever level, helps to develop an appreciation for music.
Hi Barbara! I think I do know you, and I've sent you an e-mail.
Oh, I love Bach! And I can imagine, after three years of Mozart concertos, a change *will* be nice! (Dvorak is another favorite.)
Susan
Post a Comment