Without too much comment, these photos from our Christmas trip reflect other moods than the one we usually inhabit. They reflect the moods that were normal for us until we moved to NYC eleven years ago.
The first was taken on my inlaws' property north of Atlanta on Christmas Day. As you can see, there are no leaves and the grass is brown, but the cousins were perfectly comfortable running from house to house without jackets. It was almost seventy degrees. This sunshine, this freedom of movement because of both weather and privacy, this ability to scatter bluebirds and chipping sparrows at will and run accompanied by dogs, are all rare and lovely Christmas gifts for a city child.
The next two photos were taken in downtown Athens, Georgia. The first is of my sister and brother-in-law's store, Helix. I'd like it even if I weren't related to the owners! This year we C.Z. bought some jewelry and I bought a lovely carved wooden spoon that rests on the side of a pot, and my usual supply of greeting cards to mail throughout the year.
The second is just a night scene downtown. We were showing my cousin's children around on campus and reliving our youth at the same time. Bob and I met in Athens when we were students, and we also lived there when C.Z. was born, because Bob was in law school. My parents live there now.
Anyway, I've been so busy since we got home that I never really had time to do any sort of Christmas/New Year's post, so this is as close as it will get. It was a nice break.



6 comments:
Georgia is a place that I'd like to visit one day. It sounds like the cousins and everybody else had a fine time.
Jody
Nice, Laura! Your visit home sounds wonderful, and, as always, your in-laws place has such appeal for me.
Love your recent posts, but my mind has been spinning to much to say anything worthwhile in response to them.
Susan
Although I grew up in Atlanta, I now live north of the city in Cherokee County. Where are your inlaws?
Missed you in the comment section at Cindy's today :)
Jody, I just noticed that it's 2 where you live right now. And we're going into that period of New York weather where it doesn't get above freezing for a couple of weeks. In those circumstances, I feel like our Christmas trip was a sort of solar battery. Soak, soak!
Susan, by the looks of your blog, I'd say you're getting your outside days, too! And yes, I do think you'd like my inlaws' place ;-).
Dana, I think I'm going to have to e-mail you. I knew you were close, but I didn't know you were *that* close. I wonder if all those Cherokee County road names are still in my head?
Athens is a nice town. We live about three hours south of there, but I grew up about three hours northwest of there. Now, are you totally confused?
Actually, Debbie, it makes perfect sense!
Post a Comment