Saturday, January 8, 2011

A belated Christmas report


Yes, it's way after Christmas now, but I thought a late report was better than ignoring the Christmas season entirely. In fact, the lateness is typical of this year, in which I just posted my last Christmas cards day before yesterday! (The first I've sent in three years.)


This Christmas trip to Georgia was remarkable because it was the first time I'd ever seen snow on Christmas day. (This is because, even though we've lived in New York for over a decade, we've never spent Christmas in the city.) We were opening presents at my inlaws' house on Christmas morning when I noticed the first flakes. As soon as we'd finished with the presents, all the cousins ran outside to play in it.

The Christmas snow was a sticky snow, the only sort we ever have in Georgia, because for snow to occur there, it almost has to be too warm for it. But it's great for building! CZ and her cousins built a small snowman in the afternoon, but they only really got up to speed towards dusk when they started a huge igloo. This was impressive considering that the total snowfall was about 4".

At one point, CZ and her thirteen-year-old cousin M., a boy who is going through the extreme growth stage, tried in vain to move a huge snow block towards the igloo. CZ hacked at it with a pickaxe to try to reduce its weight, but they still couldn't pick it up. Then along comes M.'s eleven-year-old sister E., who easily rolls the now roundish block into place. Chalk up one for E.'s common sense!


The next day, I found these footprints on the upstairs deck. I immediately suspected who had made them, and I was right, it was she-who-wants-to-be-Nordic. I'll leave you to decide how much common sense is displayed in this photo.


Needless to say, the dogs were greatly amused by both the snow and the igloo. I watched the lab puppy jump exuberantly onto the frozen pond and crash right through. It didn't seem to faze her; she just jumped out and shook off a lot of cold water. I moved away just in time.

Here's Bob reporting on snowfall totals in New York via Blackberry, and relating how glad I should be not to be heading to Jamaica Bay on the A-Train.

This Christmas was also notable for being able to visit with a lot of Bob's cousins whom we hadn't seen in years. That's always fun, too. We used to do a lot of things with them, so we didn't want to lose touch just because we live in a different state now.

And whenever we weren't doing anything else in particular, we played games of Taboo, Apples to Apples, and Buzzword next to the almost continual fire Bob's parents had going in the kitchen/sitting room. No one in the family plays these games quite as they are intended, but we all think it's more fun that way. Apples to Apples sets up the most absurdities, especially when certain people judge.

I'll end with some photos of things that just seem particularly winter-in-Georgia to me. I don't expect anyone else to understand why they're special to me; they're just things that I miss, and that I don't see in New York. The last photo is of the afternoon sun streaming into the bedroom that we use at Bob's parents. It still has our old bed and framed picture in it. Neither bed nor picture made the move up thirteen years ago, because we slept on a sofabed for our first seven years in New York, and after that it was too much trouble to ship things up. The picture says, 'There's no place like home."


Our next stop, Athens, has a very different sort pictures, so I'll put them in another post.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treat for you to have had snow for Christmas! Your photos are all very picturesque and expressive and reveal what a fun time you all had.

I enjoyed reading your book post as well. Palace Walk piqued my interest. I too have spent much of the past year reading nonfiction. Lately though, I've been feeling the need to balance things out a bit. I find that quality fiction really helps to add some color and optimism to my perspective. :)

Anonymous said...

Laura it looks like we have that exact same bed!! It was my parent's bed and when they decided to get a new one they gave it to me. Our 18 yr. old son sleeps in it now and it is a bit short for him, but he says it's ok as long as he sleeps diagonal!
Lisa L

Gumbo Lily said...

Well, I really enjoyed the trip with you to Georgia! Looks like it was lots of fun and how good that it snowed on Christmas Day! Loved the footprints in the snow.

Jody

beth said...

What a lovely holiday, Laura. I'm sure you enjoyed all the family time. And the snow - it was so beautiful. We enjoyed it NC, too.

Dana in Georgia said...

Snowed in again we are, Laura ;-)

This time it's five inches of dry powdery stuff; yes, unlike what we normally accumulate here in the sunny South.

Always enjoy checking in at Morningside and look forward to your comments at Cindy's book club,

I am Dana
Cherokee Co, GA

Laura A said...

Silvana, I'm not sure Palace Walk is exactly optimistic, but it's certainly interesting, and the characters often manage to have a good time with lots of "local color" despite their difficulties. I seem to be a habitual non-fiction reader, but like you, I'm trying to balance things out more.

Lisa, that bed belonged to Bob's parents before they gave it to us. His grandmother bought is for his mom when she first married. It may be a little short, but I never noticed, since I'm a bit short myself!

Jody, I've been enjoying your snow photos, too! Do you ever go outside barefoot in the snow?

Beth, you look like you've been having some great family time yourself! I've enjoyed your wedding/baby pictures lately. And I always think your porch reminds me of the one at my inlaws'.

Dana, I hope I eventually get around to writing about Esolen's book. I'm up to my eyeballs in practicalities at the moment, but I'd like to participate. Hope you're enjoying your new snow!

Anonymous said...

I *love* these photos. It looks like the coziest Christmas ever!

Susan