
CZ, age three, very shortly after we moved to New York
In the backyard: "That's toys-in-ivy. Want to get the toys out."
"Does the Holy Spirit have a stethoscope?"
"May I walk on water when I grow up?...Oh, I'll walk in water."
Saying her prayers after going to the Metropolitan Museum: "Thank you God for the paintings you made." "Well, " I explained, wanting her to understand the difference between God's creativity and man's, "Men made the paintings, and God gave them the creativity. She paused for a few minutes, folded her hands, and began again, "Thank you God for the frames. I know you made the frames!"
"I don't want this bagel anymore. It's starting to taste like puzzle pieces."
"On the holidays, Grandmommy cooks hollandaise!"
***
Under the desk, playing with the nativity scene, and narrating in a story-teller voice:
"Once there was a woman named Mary, and it was a wonderful sight..."
"Once there was Mary, Joseph, Jesus and sheep. And it was good, but their problem was the goat [donkey] couldn't fit in the barn..."
"Once upon a time, there was Mary, Joseph, Jesus, a sheep and a donkey. And it worked out really well and it was fine and alright, though Jesus just, just, crawled everywhere...to save Mary from crocodiles and stuff!"
"Once upon a time there was a barn..."
***
"Do stars have gravity?"
"I need to go to the doctor tomorrow and tell him I have hypochondria."
***
Me, reading the Bible: "As far as the East is from the West, so far I will remove your sins from you."
CZ, looking very surprised: "You mean they're all the way over on the West Side?!!"
***
Stretching her boots out in her stroller: "My boots are so yellow. They're as yellow as old cabs."
With her first 100-piece puzzle all laid out around her on the floor: "Is this a chapter puzzle?"
***
Looking rather wistfully out the window towards the street, on a cloudy day. "Every part of the world is crowded today."
Looking out same window, on another day, with growing horror: "How did it get to be Monday? Is the whole city Monday?!"
***
"A month is a long time, but you can't see it. In here is a month, and out there is a month, but you can't see it. You can see through it, like air...Can you see microwaves? They're like that."
"What is dinner time + dinner time?...Way past my bedtime!"
"I'm a happy girl, 'cause I have a little fort, and the reason I'm in here so much is...I don't know how to get out!"
"Mommy, I like the way there can be TV on TV."
After we missed the express bus because there wasn't enough room for everyone to get on and the door closed on someone's backpack: "Mommy, it's okay. We didn't want that bus...It was just full of lawyers anyway."
Standing with me while we were waiting for the elevator: "Am I imagining this?"
From the bathtub: "Mommy, the water's running out of float-ness!"
To Bob, conspiratorially, while playing Frisbee in the park: "Okay, get ready! You never know where Mommy's going to throw it next!"
"You put a puzzle piece where you think it goes, not where you hope it goes. You hope it goes everywhere."
Me, looking absently at a take-out menu: "Your hot dog comes with two sides."
CZ, puzzled: "Everything has to have at least two sides, or it wouldn't be real."
"Lotsarella, please!"
and
At Grandmommy's house in rural Georgia, sleepily describing the sound of crickets in the woods: "They sound like millions of car horns blowing, far away."
***
Sometimes we just need to look at the big picture, don't we?
5 comments:
I am chuckling and smiling and a few times, I laughed out loud. Thanks for sharing these, Laura. And thanks to CZ, too.
Thanks for that (both of you)!
That is entirely wonderful.
Thank the Lord for little girls. And thank Lord for letting us get to have them for a little while.
Those were days of magic, weren't they?
Oh, these are sweet and priceless! I laughed out loud, too. :-) What a smart 3yo, who was clearly observant of her New York surroundings. And I'm thinking that Bob probably really *liked* playing frisbee with you... I can just see him taking it on as a challenge to catch every single, wild, unpredictable throw you made. What a great test of quickness and agility! (Just teasing you, Laura, but I really can see Bob doing this.)
Susan
You are quite welcome! There are many more where those came from ;-).
And Susan, you'd be absolutely right about Bob using my frisbee, er, skills as a test of his own. When we first met, he made a "rule" that we each had to catch ten in a row before we could quit playing. And you can bet that last one would he threw would be a super hard to catch!
And even knowing this, I married the man ;-).
Post a Comment