
Helix, Christmas 2008
I confess a soft spot for this gift store in downtown Athens, Georgia. I'd like it even if my sister and brother-in-law weren't the owners, but it happens that they are. And now you can shop Helix online. (They have no idea I'm posting this, by the way. At least not yet.)
It's also fun that when my sister comes up to NYC twice a year to attend the Javitz retail show, I get in a visit with her and also get a preview of what's to come. One of the items we talked about when she came up last month was Clocky. I know my sister didn't invent Clocky, but I must say, it's got her sense of humor.
I'm quite fond of CZ's Charley Harper cards from Helix, too.
And the Lomography blog looks fun!
All in all, I think this store stacks up nicely against many of the artsy stores in Soho. Not that I'm biased or anything.
3 comments:
I think I will have fun browsing and buying here! Thanks for the tip.
Loved seeing the store and blog! Cool. Hey, Aaron bought a Holga last year (it's a lomography camera as you likely know) and has a lot of fun with it when he has extra money to buy and develop film. He's taken some really interesting photos; I'll have to tell him about your link.
Susan :-)
You're welcome, GretchenJoanna!
Susan, I've seen some of the photos in Helix (they're carried the cameras for several years) and I know that lomography is a kind of retro cult photography trend, but I don't know all the details. I can see the appeal, though, especially in college towns with art schools. My brother-in-law is a photographer and retro-collector (in addition to being in retail) and no doubt has something to do with the store's commitment to lomography. I've never tried it, but I like the effects!
Post a Comment