
I love this Bravewriter post so much that I'm not only going to put it in my shared items sidebar, I'm going to make a post about it, however brief.
Back in the early days of home education, I read a long treatise on why parents ought to stay home, in the house, with their kids. The writer talked about rhythms and routines, modeling all kinds of life skills (plumbing and baking, creating a shopping list and sewing on buttons, filling the bird feeders and using the drill). She urged long sessions of reading aloud and leaving time for dress-ups and Legos, lying on a couch bored, face painting and knitting. She emphasized how busy-ness leads to a habit of breaking concentration, of not deeply investing in any one moment, project, or playtime because inside the child knows that that activity is about to be interrupted by another trip out the door.
With little kids, I had no trouble taking the “stay-at-home” advice to heart, though. We had one vehicle that I didn’t get to drive on week days, we didn’t own a TV, and the World Wide Web hadn’t been invented. So we stayed in, or we played on the front steps. But the pace of life, even with small kids, was slow. There were hours wasted on diaper changes, walks around the cul-de-sac, making muffins and taking naps. We read tons of picture books (took a laundry basket to the library and loaded up) and made play-doh from scratch.
And then, the world sped up. Cell phones, cable TV, Netflix (DVDs sent right to your door!), the Internet, two cars! The next thing I knew, the options of what I could do in and outside my tiny condominium with or for my kids flooded my life. Some of you only know homeschooling within that context of high-speed, 24/7 connections to All the Great Things to Do Every Day! You see and hear ads, you join email lists, you get calls from friends at any time of day. And of course, homeschooling itself has exploded in popularity in the last 20 years so there are more ways to spend your time and money than ever before (and plenty of advice that if you don’t do X, your child won’t be ready for Y!).
If you choose to homeschool, let’s put the home before school. What is home exactly?
If you choose to homeschool, let's put the home before school. That's exactly what I am trying to convey in almost every post in my blog, however inarticulately. As we've started high school, the home part of homeschooling feels beleaguered like never before. Sometimes I feel like our family is in a small dingey in an open sea. Actually, we're in a small apartment in the middle of a competitive city, but the effect is the same. Despite feeling threatened at times by the prevailing culture, I pray that I'll be able to provide some sense of refuge, some sense of space and leisure, some sense of home. And I find that more often that not, that sense of refuge comes not from doing more, but from doing less. It's harder to do less! But it's worth it.
Spread the news.
11 comments:
I just received that article in my inbox and filed it away to print out. Good inspiration!
Mrs. H
Amen and Amen.
"Back in the early days of home education, I read a long treatise...." In this paragraph I believe she describes the kind of lifestyle/home-education that Charlotte Mason would have been proud of.
I've been struggling with this myself, not so much because we've been running here and there, but because of the subjects demanded of students in the high school years.... regardless if it is their natural bent or something they're truly interested in.
Something inside me rebels at the notion that 'this child must have covered this particular subject in order to have received a fitting enough education to graduate'. Obviously some subjects should and ought to be mandatory, but others should, in my humble opinion, be a matter of preference and based upon the child's interest and abilities.
Forgot to say... I too really liked the article and am printing it out to keep on file. Thanks for sharing! :-)
Yay for Julie! Great post. When people ask me the key to our homeschooling atmosphere, I tell them that it's this. Stay home. It matters. It really, really matters. All the way through. :-)
Susan
Oh, and of course I mean "yay" for you, too, Laura! You have amazed me with your determination in this area in a city that fights harder against "staying home" than just about any place I know (even though, really, it happens everywhere!).
Thank you for sharing Julie's post and your own thoughts.
Susan
My feelings exactly. There is so much to learn in the daily rhythms of life right inside four walls of our home. Though I'm forced to be here most of the time because of a physical disability, to be honest, even if I could get out on a regular basis, I would choose not to.
Whenever, in the past, I was part of this homeschool group or that, I would involuntarily get caught up in the kinetic energy of the group and find myself promising to go and do all sorts of things that were contrary to my nature (big introvert here) and philosophy of education. The inevitable result was pressure, stress, regrets, and wasted time. I, too, applaud your ability to create a refuge in the midst of such clamorous surroundings.
Have a blessed day in the Lord!
I totally agree! I love being home!
I'm glad to see this rings true for so many people! She has a good follow-up article now, with more specifics for different ages. At first I thought I may have misunderstood Julie with regard to teens, but no, I think we're still on the same page there, too.
Loved this article! We stayed close to home for most of our years of homeschooling. I've been so amazed at the way the Lord gently introduced our kids to "the world out there" when the time was right, and that they had the strength of character to remain true to who they had always been. I believe that strength comes from having a secure family foundation and I thank the Lord for the opportunity to be home with my kids!
Well said! My oldest is graduating this year, and I have no regrets because we spent the early years at HOME. Now, with 3 teenagers, we find much to engage us "out there". That is as it should/must be, but yes! Home remains that refuge. I try hard to keep the atmosphere restful, the table bountiful, and the hearth glowing. Thanks for your affirming thoughts.
Post a Comment