Tuesday, January 12, 2010

In the (not always) Bleak Midwinter

A winter candle from that lovely store, Helix, in Athens, GA

This is our home in midwinter:

In the mornings I have shifted my reading spot from the sofa, where I used to watch the sun rise over the tenement behind us, to the green chair. Now that it's getting light later, I need to turn on a lamp, and since we keep our living room curtains open, this chair with its reading lamp both affords me more privacy and bothers the neighbors less.

It's about 7 a.m. and just getting light. By April it will get light at 4:30 a.m.

I got the lamp for Christmas, from my mother-in-law! We purchased another comfy chair when we got rid of our TV this fall, but it isn't here yet. (Long story.) Now we'll have lamps for both chairs. That's important in winter.

What I hear:

The crackling and spitting of the radiator beside me, trash truck brakes and motor outside, a traffic helicopter, muffled feet upstairs, and the elevator cables rattling a bit behind our stove.

What I am thinking about:
"Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters...Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stand or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

"Each man should be fully convinced in his own mind...for none of us lives to himself alone...If we live, we live to the Lord..." (Mostly from Romans 14)
I am thinking about the difference between networks and communities, and between communities and the Body of Christ. If I ever get my thoughts into any sort of organized form, I may post them. Meanwhile, I recommend John Taylor Gatto's excellent essay on the difference between networks and communities. But the Body of Christ comes first, even before a real community. And I'm not at all sure that the Body of Christ functions like a fellowship group, as important and enjoyable as those can be.

Winter food:

This is the opposite season, foodwise, from my midsummer post on tomatoes. This week I saw a photo of a single cherry tomato and a bit of balsamic vinegar on an empty plate and was filled with a terrible longing for summer, complete with the smell of basil and the sense of a warm wind on my face during an outdoor meal. The rest of my family, all two of them fanatical Nordic skiing aficionados, don't get my nostalgia about warm weather, which starts right after Christmas and increases until May. But there it is.

So, if like me, you're experiencing nostalgia for tomatoes, here's a recipe from The Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics (pg. 183) that I made last week. Ina Garten is right when she says that it makes dull supermarket plum tomatoes develop the intense flavor of summer tomatoes:

12 plum tomatoes
1/4 C. good olive oil
1 1/2 T. aged balsamic vinegar
2 large garlic cloves, miced
2 t. sugar
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
10 large basil leaves, julienned

Preheat oven at 450 degrees.

Arrange tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tomatoes start to caramelize and the flavors are concentrated. Sprinkle the basil on top and serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 4 to 5. (In our case, it served 3!)

This is not to say, however, that I can't appreciate winter. In fact, it's the subject of this whole post! Right now, I am finding 101 uses for carrots, since that's what's left from my last CSA bag. Last night I made prosciutto roasted bass with autumn roasted vegetables. It used three whole carrots!

Evenings:

For years, Bob came home at 9 p.m., so I got to be rather artful at appreciating the quiet cheer of an evening alone with one child, in an apartment. It gets dark at 4:30 in New York City during December, so I light candles in preparation for Christmas. Bob is coming home earlier now, and it's even staying light a little later, but still our winter patterns prevail.


Here's a photo of a typical winter evening at our home. CZ is practicing for a competition--or perhaps I should say that she's avoiding practicing for a competition. Chances are about 5 to 1 she is playing Saint-Saens, Sibelius, Bernstein...anything but her unaccompanied Bach! She may have just finished her schoolwork, come home from her violin lesson, or she may have been reading or knitting. She's a fan of the current fashion of wearing long sweaters with short boots, which, along with her small size and penchant for rereading Lord of the Rings, makes her appear something like a hobbit or hobbit/elf combo. It feels quiet at home, even though it isn't exactly quiet. I'm usually cooking on the other side of the room in our open kitchen. And yes, those lights in the window are from other apartments.

You can also see that I was loath to take down the tree. We didn't do so until this Saturday. Also, you can see that I left our books from the day on the various chairs where we put them. And that CZ has a thing about warming her hands by the space heater, even though our radiator is over-zealous and it's well above 70 degrees inside.

When Bob comes home, the atmosphere changes immediately. He comes in the door speaking Italian, which causes CZ to groan. Sometimes they start playing chess, which is a surprisingly noisy game the way they play it. For the past two nights it's been accompanied by Shakespeare lyrics sung to our Twelfth Night CD. CZ enjoys matching Anne Hathaway's soprano, but Bob, who has currently lost his voice, prefers to butcher both the tune and lyrics. "Tell me where is fancy bred?" becomes "Tell me where is...fancy bread?" Somehow this usually ends up in some kind of dancing, nerf murder-football, kinesthetically watching ski or cycling championships on You Tube, or gymnastic demonstrations, often with both parties talking over my book, by 10 p.m.

In three or four years, this all will change--I don't know how exactly. Our years of homeschooling an only child will be over, and that's as it should be. But for now I'm just trying to appreciate the moment, whether winter or summer, while it lasts.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I so enjoyed reading this "cozy" post. I feel I've just spent a few moments in your lovely home and gotten to know you all a bit better! It's interesting to see how much of your daily routines mirror our own here. And the picture of CZ could be Michaela (minus the violin)--though she asked to learn another instrument yesterday. The long sweaters and short boots have also made their way into M's wardrobe this winter, and LOTR are her all time favorite books.
Anyway...loved reading this! :)

Melissa said...

De-lurking to say, thank you for blogging! I enjoy this rich and warm and cozy kind of post so much, as well as the bookish and thought-provoking kind, and the life-in-NYC kind.:) I really appreciate the gift of knowing kindred minds across a distance of miles and experiences. Truly yours became one of my very favorite blogs in 2009! God bless you and yours in 2010.

Susan said...

Love the lamp. Nice journal, too (love those Moleskines!). I like what you said about networks and the church; I've thought about this quite a lot lately, too. Posts with food and cooking notes in them always make me happy! (The roasted fish and vegetables with prosciutto sounds yum!) Have fun with those carrots. Carrot-apple-lemon juice is really good, but you have to have a juicer... But, obviously, there are lots of nice ways to cook them. Oh, and before I comment on everything you said, I'll reduce it to saying that I love the coziness of your home and the spunk of your family.

Quotidian Life said...

What a lovely picture of your winter lives you have written. I'm tucking away your basil and tomato recipe for the summer months--all my basil plants have expired. And, all the best to CZ in her competition.

beth said...

Lovely post, Laura. Thanks for opening your home to us and sharing the moments of your day.

I cannot wait to try the tomato recipe. Just the thing for this weekend when our dear NYC friends come to visit!

And like you, I am always longing for warm weather. Walking in 50 degrees this afternoon was delightful. Tomorrow we'll be up to 60. Ahhhh! Though I do also understand the nordic skiing appeal after years of living in New England and loving to x-country ski.

Blessings to you and yours.

Mrs. H said...

Lovely post! Thank you for the glimpse into your home. It inspires me to remember to enjoy the coziness of winter even as I dream of spring.

Mrs. H

Quotidian Life said...

I found some decent basil at the supermarket today so your tomato and basil dish on menu for dinner tonight.

Family W said...

Hi Laura,

I really enjoyed reading this post. What a lovely spot you have for early morning quiet times. And thank you for sharing pictures; your blog inspires me to seek for a more warm, quiet, and cozy atmosphere in my own home.

We've recently moved out of our high-rise, complete with 4 TV's, into a small cottage style suburban home belonging to a young couple in our church..... complete with not one TV. It's such a blessing! I told my husband I don't think I ever want to see another television again! :) We've replaced all of that screen time with more time spent in read-alouds and games.... so much nicer.

God Bless,
Lynn (who can't wait to try that recipe!)

Laura A said...

Silvana, I think homeschoolers, LOTR, reading and coziness just go together! And of course, this kind of British reading also goes with crazily out-of-fashion food, like butter, eggs and toast or all three at once.

Melissa, I'm glad you de-lurked, and I'm glad you like all the kinds of posts, cause I don't think I could write just one kind. I really like your blog, too, especially all the children's books and the baby at the piano. But also, I'm fond of Paul Johnson and German Shepherds!

Susan, you were, of course, my original inspiration for the Moleskines, and yes, I still like the little ones best and they just keep piling up! And I'd be happy, of course, to hear any further thoughts on networks and churches.

I still don't have a juicer, but with all your talk about green lemonade, I may just have to break down and buy one by summer!

Quotidian Life, I'm glad you found some decent basil! (I've been basil-less too, which is one reason I plant it on my roof in summer now.) I don't know for sure whether I have known your name, but I certainly read your blog. Bob thinks it's so cool that you live in Jordan!

Let me know if you like the tomatoes ;-).

Hi Beth. Enjoy your 60 degrees! (It just smells different when it's that warm, doesn't it?) We're up to 49 today, which is great, but I am busy cleaning up to host our fellowship group, so I only went out to shop for groceries. I think tomorrow will be nice, too, though.

Mrs. H, that was the whole idea, to appreciate a season that I've traditionally under-appreciated. And I think that taking time to do that over the years has worked!

Lynn, I totally agree that reading and games seem lots cozier than TV (although in limited amounts it can be nice). We have to watch out about the computer now that the TV's gone, which is one reason I haven't been blogging as much lately.

Enjoy your new cottage. Have you made any progress towards getting back into a home of your own? I'm sure you'll never take "home" for granted again!

Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments!

Family W said...

Alas, no we've not been able to do that. My husband was laid off the week before Thanksgiving and with the deadline of having to be out of the condo by Dec. 15th looming over our heads, a young newly married couple in our church rushed to our aid. They VERY GENEROUSLY decided to move out of their home, into the home of another sweet church family, in order to 'loan out' their house to us for a month or two!

So here we are. My husband is emailing his resume out like crazy (in between little odd-and-end type jobs), I'm praying like crazy, and we're wondering what doors God will open up for us next. :-) It has indeed been a wild and.... unlikely year, but we are growing in ways we never could have otherwise. And, you're exactly right... we'll never take 'home' for granted again. :-)

God Bless,
Lynn

GretchenJoanna said...

This post was a welcome visit in your home. And it has everything one could want: good food, candles, violin music, a cozy reading chair and books nearby. Makes me happy.

Laura A said...

Lynn, your story sounds all too much like those of many people I know lately. I won't sound like much when I say it, but I truly am sorry it has been such a tough year for you. I'll keep you in my prayers. And wow, such special friends!