Bob took a business trip to Germany a couple of weeks ago, mostly staying in Mainz and Munich. He usually gets a little free time during these trips, but only an hour or two, so he tries to walk around and get a feel for whatever city he's in. And he takes along our camera so he can bring back a bit of the flavor to us. Bob has his favorite subjects to photograph, and one of them is shop windows. I think this is because New Yorkers spend a lot of time passing by display windows, so it's interesting to see another country's twist on the same theme.

We were rather amused by this ad, which is obviously supposed to evoke New York. The photo editor must have thought red would stand out better than orange, though, because he/she changed the color of the subway line.




5 comments:
laura...thank you for your sweet words on my blog! yes...it's just time for a fresh start! i'm actually already working on my new place, and i'm enjoying taking the time to make it mine. i came into blogging blindly and with haste, so i didn't think about taking the time to format things my way. and sometimes it's just could to change!
it won't be long 'til i'm up and running again, and i'll let you know of my new home.
love this post, by the way! the windows are just lovely!!
Hi Laura,
Just figured this was the best way to answer the question you asked in your comment. I'm almost done with The Snoring Bird. Like you, I am rather appalled at how Heinrich's father treated the women in his life. It's pretty amazing to think they just put up with it. I also loved the section on life in the forest and think the book is quite instructive on how we learn about the natural world. The way he contrasts his college classes with what he learned on his own in the forest demonstrates the value of real life learning. I haven't read any of his other books but have loved the writing in this one, the descriptions of the expeditions, the adventure, the incredible kind of life they lived...sort of reminded me of one of Richard Haliburton's books in that way. I wonder - does anyone have adventures like that anymore? And yes, I wouldn't agree with his worldview, but I find the book compelling and fascinating and I want to read more by him. What else have you read? I have Winter World which I may save for January!
My son and a friend may be coming back up to NYC to visit some classes at NYU early next week. They'll stay with our friend in Chelsea again. Wish I could come with him!
Oh, I really, really like this kind of thing! It was fun to go window shopping with Bob. Nice, interesing photos, and I really would love to see more.
Susan
laura...just wanted to let you know about my new blog:) it's ready to be shared, though i'm still doing some tweaking on it.
www.snippetsofstory.wordpress.com
hope to see you over there sometime!
...kelli
This was great fun. I'm looking forward to more German window shopping.
Jody
Post a Comment