Monday, November 9, 2009

Recording session

One of the things we did last week was to record C.Z.'s jury pieces, a Bach Partita and the first movement of Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 3. I'm posting the Partita below. (Thanks, Rick, for helping me upload this music file!)

The Partita is spare, unaccompanied, and lasts about four-and-a-half minutes. The recording isn't perfect, but it's a good first try for a student, and shows what kind of quality recording is available in New York City for young violinists.

The make-up jury seemed to go well, and C.Z. got some nice compliments, though she probably won't get her jury score for a week or two. It's a really nice way to mark the passage from last year's injury setbacks to what we hope will be smoother sailing this year. We'll still be going to physical therapy for a while, but I'm glad to see C.Z. practicing again, because that's what she likes to do.

Oh, yes, and there was an orchestra concert, too! Nutcracker, Merry Wives of Windsor, and Weber's Konzertstucke with the solo performed by last year's piano concerto competition winner. Bob's mother came up from Georgia, we had some family friends in attendance, and we invited C.Z.'s stand partner's mother to sit with us as well. They just moved here from China two months ago and speak almost no English, but luckily, our friends spoke Mandarin and were able to translate. Great fun!



13 comments:

kelli said...

Laura...I tried to open both pieces to no avail. They both ended up with a pop-up box that said windows could not recognize this file. I followed the link on, and it told me to download a converter. Perhaps it's just my computer???

Oh...and happy upcoming birthday:)

Laura A said...

Thanks, Kelli. I've gotten some hints that I'm going to try to follow up on tomorrow. Apparently I need to reformat the files to MP3. But thanks for trying!

And for now, off to my favorite somewhat local restaurant for a birthday dinner--it's today, only I keep forgetting because I'm just puttering around the apartment. But after such a busy couple of weeks, puttering is the best gift a person could have!

kelli said...

Well then...many happy returns of the day!

Enjoy your dinner and night, and happy puttering as well:) I agree...no better gift than that!

Anonymous said...

I loved listening to C.Z.'s playing. It was absolutely beautiful! Please tell her "thank you" for adding some peace and beauty to my morning.
And, wow, what a treat for you to have such lovely sounds in your home as she practices each day.

kelli said...

that worked!! and c.z.'s playing is just beautiful. i could hear her emotion...which is one of the hardest to convey music.

bravo, c.z.! keep up the good work:)

Diana said...

That was fabulous! I love to hear talented youth. What a blessing she is with her music.

Laura A said...

Thank you all. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it!

Mrs. H said...

So beautiful!

Mrs. H

debbie bailey said...

I keep playing them over and over as I work around the kitchen. You have one talented daughter there.

Laura A said...

So you were able to download both pieces, Debbie? I took the link to the Mozart off because I thought the downloads were too complicated and in a weird format. So I'm glad that you were able to figure it out.

I get a lot of kitchen concerts, too. Live ones ;-). CZ likes the acoustics right outside our kitchen, which is open to the living room.

Anonymous said...

I heard this last week and then didn't get a chance to comment. Just wonderful! The violist in the household where I am staying really liked it and was impressed. :-)

Susan

Laura A said...

I was wondering recently how that violist was doing, and whether she was still liking viola!

Gumbo Lily said...

I've tried a few times to hear the piece and tonight, it worked! What a beautiful piece and played artistically.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I've been blessed to listen.

Jody