These photos came from our last heron cruise of the season on Sunday, but to tell the truth, the herons have stopped nesting and there weren't all that many birds to see. Instead, I took my camera and tried to photograph the conjunction of sunset, water, and buildings. Just being in the bow of a boat going 40mph down the East River at dusk was worth the trip, camera or no camera. But finding the same Hopper-esque ice cream vendor I'd wanted to take a photo of two weeks ago was the cherry on top of evening.
A few notes of explanation: The Domino sugar plant is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn; the birds on U Thant Island are cormorants, the abandoned building is a former smallpox hospital on Roosevelt Island; the Pepsi-Cola sign is a landmark in Long Island City, Queens; the lit skyscrapers is the Chrysler Building; and the bridge is the Brooklyn. Stories about sometime East River island residents Nellie Bly and Typhoid Mary also figured into the tour.









3 comments:
The 3hr boat cruise that I took around Manhattan was most enjoyable on a hot Monday afternoon. It helped me feel more oriented.
Eventually I hope to post pictures of all the bridges we went under.
Oh, such wonderful photos, Laura! And what a nice post to read and enjoy. Loved it!
Susan
Dana, did you take the Circle Line tour? That's a great introduction to the city. In fact, Susan here has done it, too!
I'll look for your bridges!
Post a Comment