Friday, November 21, 2008

A short post about ice spikes


Have you ever seen one of these in your freezer?  (Or maybe I should ask first, do you use plastic ice trays?)  We see them sometimes in ours, and used to see them quite often in the freezer of our old apartment. We were always curious about them, but didn't know what they were until one day we stumbled across this web page which explains them. They're called ice spikes, and apparently, some people have gone to quite a lot of trouble to produce them!  

We don't used distilled water to get them, like the website suggests. Apparently plain old New York City tap water does the job quite well all by itself.  When C.Z. was younger (and perhaps still, but I haven't asked) she used to think it was a special treat to get a ice-spiked cube in her glass. 

I'm feeling full of short posts today.  Not sure how many will get done, but maybe there will be a couple more.  I seriously doubt they will be anything important, but I'll enjoy posting them anyway!  

Enjoy your Friday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's pretty cool. I've never seen *that* before! We don't make ice cubes, but I've never seen them anywhere we've visited, either. I need to read the article...

Susan