Friday, November 21, 2008

A bit of Buckley humor...

Aren't Google searches great?  Prompted by Susan L.'s post last night about winter and books, including one by Aloise Buckley Heath (sister of William F. Buckley), I at last found an article by Mrs. Heath that I've been looking for for at least ten years. (At which time there was no Google.) It's called "Before you say no..." and though fading memory caused me not to describe the boy's character quite accurately in my comment to Susan, I still like the article very much.

The following snippet is from a correspondence between Ms. Heath and an enterprising 13-year-old neighbor boy, who wants her to write a school recommendation letter for him. In the letter, he (apparently characteristically) also offers to buy a certain Indian Head penny from her. The part that I remembered fondly all these years is part of her reply, which goes like this:

I haven't got a 1905 Indian Head, which saddens me very much, but what saddens me more is the fact that even after three years' acquaintanceship you don't know me well enough to realize that I also know that this particular penny is worth $6! You and your 4cents profit--hah! I've told you and told you about my high IQ. Don't you believe me? However, just to show you I bear no grudge, I will give you my duplicate of the 1911 no mint mark--for free yet! 

Respectably yours, MRS. H. 

If you like this sort of banter, read on at the link, or if that doesn't work (sometimes it wants you to sign up with your library card), Google it.  Happy reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dearly love ABH. Some people have a sense of humor that just clicks right in with my sense of humor, and she's one of them (not that the opposite would be true). I thought that article was in the book. No? Maybe I've just read it online.

Susan