_background_blurred.jpg)
Glossy Ibises are common at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
When we got to the refuge, we noticed right away that the place already looked quite different than it had in June and July when we'd been out there for several days to help researchers with nesting turtles. The vegetation was mostly thicker and overgrown, but already the honeysuckle had mostly disappeared and many of the plants sported berries. I wish that I'd had my camera for one of the berry bushes, because its berries were in a lovely array of greens, blues and pale lavenders that reminded me of eggs raised on small farms. The mature berries were deep red. Some of the vines were starting to turn bright red, too, even though the leaves on the trees won't turn for another month. The weather had turned yesterday from muggy and summer hot to breezy and almost cool, and though I wore short sleeves, I occasionally felt a slight chill in the cloudy weather.
The terrapin trail was now open, and I wondered what had happened to all the nesting turtles. We found a few protective nest cages, still marked. Had many terrapins hatched safely and made it to overwintering spots on the island, or had raccoons eaten most of the eggs? Were some turtles, for now, still crawling around in the underbrush? (One thing that the Hofstra University researchers we worked have discovered through their work is that baby Diamondback Terrapins overwinter on land. One usually thinks of baby saltwater turtles going back into the water.) We felt nostalgic and even a bit proprietary walking down the trail, which we knew quite well from watching turtles and marking nests this summer.

A Snowy Egret, with those yellow feet
As for birds, we noticed right away that there were lots and lots of wading birds--Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Black-Crowned Night Herons, Yellow-Crowned Night Herons, Tricolor Herons, Glossy Ibises, and several other birds with stilty legs. And not only was there a lot of variety, but for most species we saw lots and lots of each. Greater Yellowlegs skirted around in great flocks, circling over the water and making their peeping sound. Usually they're just wading when I see them. My favorite wading birds of the day, though, were the Snowy Egrets because they have black legs with yellow feet, which makes them look a little like Mickey Mouse!
What we really didn't see that much of, surprisingly, were ducks. Usually the West Pond is full of them, and happily some of them wear their breeding plumage in winter, so that gives one something fun to look for on fall and winter birding trips. We did, however, see a Wood Duck (in breeding plumage) in the blind near the East Pond. Since I've only seen one in the wild once before, that was a satisfying duck find.
A Wood Duck in breeding plumage. Almost looks fake, doesn't it?
We also enjoyed seeing a whole family of Mute Swans and a juvenile Laughing Gull begging for food from its mother. There were even a couple of early-arriving Snow Geese. No Black Skimmers this time, though.
We saw a good many songbirds, too, though we saw many for such a very short time that they were hard to identify. Many of the warblers, in particular, go drab olive at this time of year. Peterson's Field Guide has a page on "confusing fall warblers" which helps. C.Z. and I have started calling them C.F.W.s for short. (Not that saying "W" aloud is really that short.) We had no trouble, however, identifying a Black-Throated Blue Warbler in the North Garden. "Take a good look," I said of this favorite bird, "We may not see another one for a long time." Some of the C.F.W.s or other non-breeding birds we saw today were a Common Yellowthroat, Redstarts (a misnomer, since they're yellow this time of year), and an American Goldfinch. And I think a Pine Warbler.
Now, I don't suppose that many of my readers are birders. (I don't even suppose that there are many of you!) So, maybe some of these species names are a little more detail than you ever wanted to know ;-). But for me, the combination of being outside in a lovely marsh and getting to do a little sleuthing, all at once, is not a bad way to spend a day. We had a very nice, quiet day, often quite alone and feeling safe enough (no small thing in NYC), and we saw about thirty species of birds, all told. And since every time we've been to the park lately, mostly all the birds we've seen have been very raucous and aggressive robins, I thought it notable that we saw not one robin all afternoon!
May your outside days be enjoyable, however far you have to commute for them!
All images are from Wikipedia Commons or Creative Commons on Wikipedia.

5 comments:
Hey, maybe we'll see you at Jamaica Bay one day!
When you get a chance, let me know a bit about the lens you use. I am in the market for a better lens, and your photos are the kind I am hoping to take myself.
Oh, I wish I'd taken those! But bird photography is one area that I haven't ventured into yet. Right now I'm just trying to sit still and watch the birds. I do take photos of other things, though. I think, in fact, that my camera and lens may be very similar to yours, except that I also have an old 55mm portrait lens from my old film camera.
Have you ever seen Cal Vornsberger's site? He's the guy who photographed Birds of Central Park. Here's a link to his photography forum: http://www.birdsofcentralpark.com/forum/
Sorry I couldn't help about the photography, but if you ever want to meet at Jamaica Bay, let me know! I think I have an e-mail addy from one of your pages, so I'll send you an e-mail.
I guess I didn't say it outright--I nabbed the photos off Wikipedia, since many of theirs are public domain.
Laura, it sounds like you had a wonderful day! All of the bird detail was impressive to this woman, who loves nature and even birds, but can't identify many. I *can* tell a robin, though, and we've had quite a convention of them meeting on our front lawn in recent days.
I'm glad you had a nice time out in wild places! And I agree that you have your priorities right! :-)
Susan
Robins really do bring out the human associations, don't they? For some reason, I always think of them as advancing across a lawn like soldiers. One goes out, then a second or two later, another follows. Then another, like they're taking the field.
And of course, they're always humanized in stories!
Post a Comment