Monday, September 8, 2008

A Simple Woman's Daybook




I always mean to do one of these, but I always forget.  So, better late than never!

Outside my window, on the street side, the playground is closed, the sun is setting on the buildings, creating a pink glow, and people are coming home from work. There's the continual roar of traffic, but it's background noise.  It's actually remarkably quiet out there this evening! 

I am thinking that I really love the serendipity of New York, especially the violin shops.  Today we went to get C.Z.'s bow re-haired, and as we approached the shop, we heard strains of the Sibelius violin concerto coming from an open window.  We hurried in to find a massive man playing up a storm--Sibelius, Bach Partitas, Mendelssohn, Paganini.  The violin looked like a toy on his shoulder, and rested easily there.  He was trying out bows.  

From the learning rooms.  C.Z. is picking out Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, arranged for piano, on our dinky plastic keyboard.  She doesn't play piano, but I guess it's close enough to violin.

I cajoled her into doing some Latin today.  And she read The Lord of the Rings.  

Bob is teaching himself Italian.  He keeps trying to e-mail me in Italian.  As might be expected, ours is a very limited conversation.

I am thankful for the remarkable freedom I have, to worship the Lord, to order my own days, to spend these days with my daughter at home.  I have a lot of choice about many aspects of my life.  

I am thankful for a husband who quietly does the right thing, year after year.  He likes to talk with me about books.  And he's even funny!

I am thankful for the amazing, interesting world we live in, with all its variety and beauty.

From the kitchen are lots of plum tomatoes in a steamer basket, waiting to be peeled.  In a few minutes, I'll make tomato sauce from them.  They are both red and yellow, so the sauce will be orange!  C.Z. just made a pizza crust, and it's sitting on the counter.  We also have Feta cheese for this pizza.

We had Yumm! bowls for lunch--at 2 p.m., because that's when we got home from our orthodontist appointment and the violin shop.

I am wearing camping shorts, my favorite (supposedly reversible) blue scoop neck T, and a dark green Strand apron.  My original outfit for the day is in the wash.  I am a messy eater.

I am reading Eusebius' The History of the Church.  

I am hoping that I can keep the calm sense of priorities that served us so well over the summer, in the face of increasing busyness.

I am creating a record of days, in my journal.  

I am hearing (in addition to Prokofiev) the swish-swish of the washer behind me.

Around the house, there are a number of books lying about.  Shoes also.  The kitchen counter is dusted with flour. There's corn silk and yeast by the window, next to the microscope.  I'm basking in the warm glow of books and bookshelves.  

One of my favorite things is having the family around the table for dinner.  Another is this time of day.  

A few plans for the rest of the week: Bob's birthday is on Wednesday!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you:



This is an orchid that belongs to a friend of mine who used to live in our building.  Her realtor bought it for an open house, but now they've moved already.  I've been taking care of it for a month, and today, it bloomed!  I let my friend know that it's blooming, so hopefully she can come get it while it's still pretty.  I never thought I'd have an orchid!

3 comments:

laurel said...

I enjoyed reading this! I hope you do it again soon. I would love to see pictures of your home...it sounds so homey and interesting.
Emails from the hubby in Italian! How romantic, limited or no! :)

Anonymous said...

Fun to read, Laura! The food sounds good. I have bags and bags of tomatoes in the freezer, all from this summer, which is nice. I can make sauce whenever I want, and from good tomatoes! :-)

I love that Bob emails (or tries) in Italian. Aaron talks to me in Danish all the time, and I just pretend I know what he's saying, and I answer him (in English). Sometimes I *do* know what he's saying, which is weird. I'd think the immersion thing would take a bit longer... :-)

I hope and pray, too, that your relaxed summer spirit can carry through more scheduled times!

I suppose I shouldn't comment on every single thing you have written, but I really enjoyed reading it all.

Susan

Laura A said...

Laurel, I keep meaning to post some photos of our apartment. But, you know how on most blogs, the photos are of food, sewing projects, self-done renovations, etc.? Well, to show my home would be to show what someone else did, not what we did! But, our contractor is very talented, and is a friend of a friend, so perhaps I should show his work. Our place isn't all done up or anything, and I'm certainly no Martha Stewart like some bloggers are, but I do like our home. We're comfortable here.

Regarding Bob's Italian: If only you knew the reality! I don't think it could be any *less* romantic, but it is endearing when my husband writes me from work, "L'uomo sta portendo una camicia bianca." ("The man is wearing a white shirt.") C.Z. and I agree that we really need to support his efforts to that he can learn to say more interesting things. But, that's my husband's sense of humor to a T. When he's not good at something, he makes a big repetition joke out of it!

Susan, can you just freeze tomatoes in bags, whole like that? I didn't know that!

And go right ahead and comment on whatever you want. I think I owe you an e-mail about Arvo Part. I'll try to get to it soon.