Friday, August 22, 2008

Garden variety--a good thing!


I was making Susan's Bangladeshi beef curry for dinner, and since I didn't have a cucumber for the "salad" that goes on top (oops, used it for my weekly dose of gazpacho), I substituted a sweet red pepper from my CSA bag.  It wasn't an ordinary red pepper, or even a Holland pepper, but an elongated variety whose name I don't know.  Then I chopped up an onion for the salad; The CSA onions have all been "red" (i.e., purple-looking) lately.  Oh, yes, and the tomatoes this week are yellow ones, which I think are called Juliets if I have the name right from the newsletter.   Andlight green Anaheim peppers, which aren't quite as hot as jalapenos, but are just right to eat on top of an already hot curry (into which I put a long, skinny red pepper, very hot indeed, also from the CSA). And cilantro, of course.  At least that was the usual color--though I've seen it look purplish before.

Don't you just love the variety of late summer?  C.Z. and I went to the farmers' market this morning just to round out the grocery list, and although I had two containers of tomatoes from the CSA sitting on my windowsill, and a few left over from the week before, it was all I could do not to buy some of the diverse varieties of heirloom tomatoes on display.  Usually "garden variety" is used to connote ordinariness, but I don't think the people who first put that term into use could have predicted the remarkable renaissance in varieties from gardens these days!  So, long live garden variety, and happy cooking!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I love this kind of garden variety! (Nice photo, too!) Don't you just love your CSA? I missed mine last week because we were out of town, and I simply cannot wait to pick up my produce and raw milk tomorrow. Yum! Does your CSA go into fall? Ours goes til November. I think I've asked before, but... I forgot. :-)

Susan