Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Discovering painters

From John Morra's "Mixer" series

I've had a little more time to get interested in art lately, since I'm not painting my portrait right now. Ironic?  Yes, but it also makes sense, because doing the portrait got me interested in art again, and this is really the first year since I've started homeschooling that my brain has occasionally felt free to wander off on tangents now and then.

Anyway, New York City certainly has the art resources, and I've become interested in taking advantage of them.  Today, the man who designed our bookshelves told me about a friend of his, a fellow-Christian and New York-based artist named John Morra.  I looked him up, and I really was pleased with the work!  The craftsmanship, compositions and quiet subjects all combine to make him a truly interesting painter in my way of thinking.  I hope he won't mind my nabbing one of his photos to put into this entry, because I'm only doing it in hopes that some of you will want to go take a further peek at his website.  John is represented by Hirschl & Adler Gallery in Manhattan.

As I come upon other artists in the city, I may post their work as well. 

Speaking of which, I should really post a photo of the bookshelves...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Laura, I just love this painting! Tomorrow during my computer time, I'm going to have a good look at that website (thanks so much for posting it).

I'm always struck powerfully by good paintings of home tasks or objects. It can be a door or a window or chair (or an old kitchen mixer or contraption) if it's done right and well. I love Vermeer's paintings of women going about their work almost more than any other paintings. Some of Chardin's are striking to me, too.

I don't know a lot about art and artists like you do, but you've definitely expanded my horizons and deepened my interest over the years.

Thanks, Laura! I love it when you talk about this kind of thing.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I love the still life with brown bottle and all the pears/apples...I think still lifes have to be my favorite type paintings and they are something I never really appreciated until I began to study/see the old Dutch masters. Thanks for sharing.

Susan in TX, who would love to own a still life one day

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just spent some time looking at the artist's website (I didn't have time to click your link before). This is exactly what I like, so it's been fun to look through his artwork-- I'd paste it all over my blog if that was ethical! I smiled to see that he listed Vermeer and Chardin as influences, since I love them both (and already mentioned that in my first comment). I want to look at this more later on.

Thanks again,
Susan