
A Palm Warbler. This one is awfully cute, but he's not in his spring plumage, so if you want to see his rust-colored cap, try this copyrighted photo.
(If you haven't read this blog in the spring before, be forewarned. I get really enthusiastic about warbler migration! If you're one of those people who doesn't see the fun in spending hours looking straight up into trees with binoculars during pollen season, I won't be offended! It should be safe to return by early June.)
Here's what I saw:
2 American Kestrels, squabbling high in a tree. Their querulous cries where what made me notice them.
4 Mourning Doves
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker, carving out a hole in the same spot as last year. I really admire his persistence, as last year's nest got taken over by Starlings. At first I thought this bird had really worn feathers, but eventually I realized he was all ruffled because his head would scrape the top of the hole on each strike.
1 Northern Flicker
2 Blue Jays, chasing one another
1 Black-capped Chickadee, heard only
1 wren, but only saw the silhouette so I'm not sure what type
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, one with his bright red crest up, furiously chasing the other
Robins everywhere. Singing, of course!
Yellow-rumped Warblers, several
1 Pine Warbler
Palm Warblers, lots and lots of them flying from tree to tree with the Yellow-Rumps and Pine Warbler, all eating catkins
2 Eastern Towhees
2 Chipping Sparrows
White-throated Sparrows, still around for now, calling, "Oh say, Canada! Canada!" I think they're homesick. Their friends the Juncos are gone.
2 Cardinals, an obvious pair
These birds were not here a week ago. I don't even think they were here three days ago. So these are the very first arrivals!
I was somewhat surprised to see so many Palm Warblers, since usually the Yellow-rumps arrive first, and in such large numbers that for about two weeks they're almost as common as House Sparrows. If House Sparrows are the street urchins of the bird world, Yellow-rumps are the bird equivalent to the zucchini squash--early and abundant, yet still seasonal enough that you're delighted to see them make an appearance.
Chipping Sparrow
All photos from Wikipedia Commons.

4 comments:
I am so excited for you! And also glad that you will be sharing your bird friends on your blog. My daughter sees birds seemingly effortlessly, and I often am blind to their presence, so I will definitely enjoy your photos. These two are lovely. Thank God for birds--what a lot of happiness they add to the world.
What a wonderful count for one day in the park!
Love, love, love this post, Laura! You know I'm crazy over the migration too so we are out there watching together. No warblers here yet. I'm still waiting and watching. I have seen several flickers and I could have sworn I heard an oriole, but haven't sighted it.
I love your comparison of the yellow-rumped warbler to zucchini!! Perfect!
Jody
Yes, very descriptive diary of a day's worth of birding and most enjoyable.
I love listening, watching, and feeding them.... photographing is difficult.
Even tho' we lost one nest of wrens, I think I've discovered another.... in a crook in the ceiling in our basement.
Post a Comment