Ah, it's so nice to have a moment to sit down and reflect again! Our family has just been through a logistical whirlwind. We've done so much that I've forgotten what all we did!This weekend CZ performed in a "gala." It was the follow up to February's performance competition. Before Saturday night, I wasn't even entirely sure what a gala was--only that it seemed to involve a long, sparkly dress and a lot of drama in the presentation. But now I know!
I dislike shopping so much that I almost waited too late to buy the dress, but finally CZ and I took a day off from studies and went to Macy's in Herald Square. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I didn't realize that school was out, that we were in high prom season, and that the store was having a one-day sale (on everything but prom dresses), and that they were also having a flower show. I never saw so many people in one store before! After three hours, we were standing in a long line of high school girls for a second round in the fitting room, listening to disco music that was so loud we could barely hear each other, and wilting under the harsh fluorescent lighting. CZ remarked, "When I've had it with shopping, my throats starts to hurt. It really hurts right now." But we persevered, and we came away with a long, blue, sparkly dress with a scarf thing in the back. And three others that will go back to the store. We got the job done.
The gala went well, and was even more pleasant that I expected, considering that the week leading up to it had been emotionally draining. CZ made all the Saint-Saens concerto's difficult runs and high notes, flung her bow around with an extra bit of flair, and got spontaneous applause at the end, which is exactly what you want to hear when you perform. And one of her friends showed up unannounced, with her mom, so it was a nice surprise to have that extra support.
The show itself was nothing like a conservatory style performance, but included a bit of everything--Broadway vocals, arias, a one act play, tap dancing to Sinatra, an appearance by a former Miss America finalist, and a hilariously campy spoof on Abba's "Money, Money, Money." The theater director MCed the show. Even the theater's dog made an appearance. It was indeed a gala!
Now we're fully into end-of-year recital season. CZ is at her accompanist's recital as we speak, in fact. We'll attend a family friend's graduation recital at Juilliard next week. And no doubt we'll go to other performances that I don't even know about yet. In the next few weeks, CZ herself will have performances for chamber music, composition, orchestra, and of course, her solo jury, which is like a violinist's final exam. We'll probably have another recording made as well.
Did I say it was a nice time to reflect? It's more like the calm before the storm!
4 comments:
Whew! It does sound like a whirlwind. Congratulations to CZ on all her musical accomplishments. I'm sure even in the midst of all the activities, there are quiet moments when you can reflect in quiet amazement and gratitude. Enjoy it all!
The only way I can get through April and May (end of school year activities) is to write everything down on the calendar and then take one day at a time. If I look ahead too much, I hyperventilate!
Bless you, Laura! I remember similar weeks when Lauren was still at home and now she is experiencing all the musical and scheduling intensity with no mom around to help out. (I think she'll survive.) I did, however order a dress from Macy's for her to wear for an upcoming competition and found myself thankful that it is prom season as there was more to choose from and Macy's was actually having a sale. I'm still waiting to hear if it fits but I am hopeful. And, imagine: I picked it out, sent the link to Lauren, and she loved it! : ) Now I'm having busy days with my other kids and find myself longing for some reflection time as well but it will have to wait.
Beth and Debbie, you are both wise about peace in the midst of a whirlwind. There really are quiet moments here and there, and it doesn't take a whole lot to start feeling better. God knows just what we need!
Melissa, I always like to read about your experiences since you are just a few years ahead of us with similar interests. It must be hard to have a child going to school in another *country,* especially as I would imagine that the dress selection in Jordan must be different, to say the least. Did the dress you ordered fit? That's where we had trouble. But now that we have a dress, we can wear it for more than one performance, hopefully!
May you all have enough genuinely restful days along with your end-of-year activities!
Post a Comment