Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow day

After being slighted by two snowstorms this season, New York City finally got a big snow of its own. This afternoon CZ and I took a long walk through Riverside Park and down by the Hudson to survey our neighborhood transformed:

The usual bedlam on "Death Hill," Riverside Park. (That's not its official name or anything. It's just what our neighbor calls it.)
A Common Merganser on the ice-cold Hudson
Yesterday there was lots of ice on the river, but today the swift current had swept it all away.
Seagulls were using the wind to hover over the river.
Back up into Riverside Park again. On snow days, parks in New York always look like Narnia to me. I think it's the lampposts and the stone walls.
"Death Hill" from another angle. Just before I snapped this picture, I saw a man (far left) almost get hit by a sled going really fast. He jumped several feet into the air, over the laughing sledder (now next to him in the photo), and was met with hoots of approval.


My favorite snow structure of the day, and igloo complete with drawbridge.
Snowboarders had built their own ramp and were doing impressive jumps down the hill. (Unfortunately my hands were too frozen to catch any jumps in motion today.)
Don't you like what happens to snow in the evening light?

4 comments:

Family W said...

That's awesome. We Floridians really don't see snow so I've enjoyed looking at all the pictures. Especially the evening shot.... so pretty!

Emily said...

I love the fifth shot down. Narnia-like indeed. And the lamps at twilight.....magical.

Anonymous said...

I love all of these photos and the narrative you put with them. The steps and the evening light are my favorite photos, but I love them all. I love the igloo because kids (and adults!) everywhere are the same. Snow means igloo and fort making, snowball fights, sledding, snowboarding... Wherever a person lives, whether right in the middle of NYC or in the very rural countryside of Oregon's high desert, we all end up being the same. (Of course.)

Susan :-)

Gumbo Lily said...

It MUST be Narnia! I also think that the pictures with all the New Yorkers walking, skiing, and sledding look like a modern day Currier and Ives.

So glad you shared these.
Jody