Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ideas for sketching


Do you like nature journaling? The image at left is by NYC artist Tommy Kane. (I hope he won't mind my reproducing it here as a bit of free publicity.) It's from a website called Urban Sketchers, which I only just discovered yesterday.

Another interesting artist on the site is John Wooley. Wooley just happens to be ten years old, but that's not the point. I am utterly impressed with his free sense of line, composition, and sheer inventiveness. I could draw realistically when I was ten, but I couldn't invent like he does. I wonder if I could even do it now, with an extensive art background and many years' worth of images in my head. Looking at these drawings makes me want to try.

Most of these sketchers seem to make their living in the advertising world. And Kane is unfortunately the same man who did those Steve Madden ads a few years ago that looked like Bratz dolls. Makes me wonder how we can open up better opportunities for artists to make a living.

Meanwhile, I think this website makes great inspiration for nature journaling! I know it's urban journaling, but I posted it even so for two reasons: 1) The drawing styles are more creative than on most nature journaling sites I've seen, and 2) urban journaling looks like fun, too! Enjoy!

Sketch by John Wooley, from Urban Sketchers
***

I haven't had a whole lot of time lately to sketch medieval manuscripts, but I have done a three or four. I hope to do more sketching as time permits, perhaps even post a few eventually. For that, though, I'll need a scanner.

5 comments:

Dana in Georgia said...

I have never done any sketching, although it was a part of my daughters' curricula at their Christian school.

I own one illuminated book - James Freemantles The Psalms of David - and I just love it... a life-long labor of love ... for his wife.

Maybe some day...

In the meantime, I make sure the camera is in the purse.

Unknown said...

You shared how blogging takes time. So does blog reading--oh my!! I realize that it's my choice to do so. Just recently, I implemented some rules for myself before going on-line. What a huge help! And I even have some "fast" days where I abstain altogether. October will be a fast month for me. (Please don't say anything good until November. :-)) Denise

Diana said...

If I could draw well I'd be nature journaling. I've started it a few times but then it gets left on the back burner. I even have several books about it and drawing in general. Just another thing I'd like to say that I did!

Laura A said...

Dana, that Freemantle book looks really interesting--what I could see of it, since apparently he won't let the drawings themselves be displayed on the web. I saw the cover and some of the calligraphy.

And it is awfully tempting to use a camera, even when you have basic sketching ability!

Denise, I understand about the blog rules. I think it's good for everyone to have some, and perhaps even fast times.

Diana, I hear you! You have your own artistry, though, in your knitting. I'm knitting my first scarf, and it's, um, a first scarf!

Gumbo Lily said...

Love the Urban Sketcher site. I'm going to show it to Seth, my homegrown sketcher. Makes me want to pull out my sketchpad now.

Jody