Thursday, September 3, 2009

Do you speak English?

Yesterday, on the SW corner of 79th and Broadway: I'm about to cross to the east side of the street, and there's a three or four-year-old girl in a stroller about to cross going north. She's got a big popsicle that looks like a face, and she's licking it with her tongue hanging out. As the light turns green and they start to cross, she suddenly looks back at her nanny and squeaks, "Am I speakin' English?"

On a related note, Bob has been watching this video a lot lately. I like the way Bob laughs at the same comedy sketches time and time again:


If you read French, note what the sign says at the beginning. And if you speak German, could you let me know what they're saying at the end?

4 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, this is funny. Beyond, "I don't speak German," I don't know what they are saying in German, but I'm going to send the link to my friend who is a German teacher.

GretchenJoanna said...

I was reading your booklists and wanted to say I love those ISI guides. I got a few for my last daughter in her last years of homeschooling and enjoyed reading them myself.

Dana in Georgia said...

Yup, funny alright!

While I cannot understand the very end of the German part of the conversation, the beginning is first the girl asking if he speaks German, and then both fellows say that they cannnot :(

For example, ich speche ein bissen Deutsch. Sprechen sie Deutsch? Nein,...

My husband routinely watches the same movie (DVD or YouTube) scenes/clip, laughing aloud each time .... as if it's the first time he ever heard it :)


And so, I remind myself...

I didnt stop laughing because I'm growing old(er) ---- I'm older because I stopped laughing :(

Thanks for the giggle

Laura A said...

Gretchen Joanna, I'm glad you've enjoyed the ISI guides. I'm procrastinating a little on the last one, which is about law. I especially liked the James Schall one, and I hope my daughter will read it, too.

Dana, I'm glad someone else's husband does that! There's certainly nothing wrong with having a sense of humor. In fact, I'd say it's essential!