
I can certainly understand why some people might not like this evening. But years ago I made my peace with Halloween, because it's likely the most neighborly day of the year in many a New York City apartment building. We see all the neighbor kids, talk to their parents, and people generally appreciate the fact that we're actually home to hand out treats instead of just leaving a bag by the door. Halloween in the building just doesn't have a creepy feeling. But we generally stay off the streets when the rowdier party-ers emerge.
When C.Z. was younger, our policy was pretty much to go around in our building only (though we did try the one next door one year, and a neighborhood parade another), and to wear no creepy costumes. C.Z. preferred dressing up as famous women anyway, so she was happy enough with that. And after one candy binge year, I think she even got the point about sugar moderation.

Queen Elizabeth
Marie Antoinette
C.Z. hasn't been interested in trick-or-treating for some time now, but she still likes seeing all the little kids' costumes, so she answers the door. We really hadn't given this evening a thought until today, when I picked up a pumpkin at the farmers' market, and then C.Z. decided that sugar cookies would be much nicer than candy, so she made some. She cut them into pumpkin shapes, and they were a big hit! We had some nice neighbor visits and saw some fun costumes, but our time is just about up. But we'll be in the kitchen for a while yet. It's NYC marathon weekend, and we're making spaghetti sauce for carbo-loading.

In honor of the extra-early marathon date this year, we improvised the following decor for our hallway. (Bob had left his running gloves on the counter, all four of them.) Speaking of building hallways, I once had a rather scary dream in which I had moved back to Georgia, went to the front door of my house in the middle of the night because I heard a noise, and as the frightening dream music escalated, I realized that there was no longer any reassuring hallway outside my front door, only trees! Of course I'm not really that citified, but it was a funny dream nevertheless.
Well, whether you celebrate the day or not, have a good weekend, and enjoy your fall days and winter squash!


5 comments:
That Marie Antoinette costume is very impressive!! And how exciting for your husband and the NYC marathon tomorrow. I am so interested to read about it all and how it goes. Will you fill us in, please? :)
Oh, fun, Laura! Love it all-- the costumes, the pumpkin (!), the cookies, the stories...
And the NY marathon took me by surprise-- already?! I noticed Kara Goucher is running it and that this is the event she's training for to shoot for an Olympic gold in 2012. I'll have to look Bob and Kara up now...
Hope it went well. Last night sounded like a lot of fun!
Susan
Uh, this isn't Sunday, is it? I guess I'll look up Bob and Kara tomorrow! :-)
My days are all running together...
Susan
I really loved this post, Laura. The pumpkins, CZ in costume, and the neighborliness of your NYC building. Happy Halloween. Happy Marathon!
Jody
Hi Laurel! My mil sewed that dress from a drawing we made. The main fabric is upholstery material! We love it, and are saving it to pass down to C.Z.'s kids one day.
And I've just posted on the marathon this morning.
And it *is* a nice building!
Post a Comment