Thursday, April 14, 2011

An Update

Time for an update on my lately-neglected blog. It's not apathy that is causing the neglect, but a concrete development, which I hope to post about soon. Meanwhile, here's a little about what's up around here:

View from the farmhand's house in Garfagnana, Italy
  • We're going to the music festival in Garfagnana again! This time, we're taking two teenaged friends along. I really like these friends, so they should be a fun addition to our trip. I'm looking forward to the same small town, the same refurbished farmhand's house owned by the kindly Bertolani family, the same town square with its small shops, proprietors, and medieval castle, the same great faculty, and the same slightly wacky concert schedule with a delayed grand finale across the street from our favorite restaurant in town.
A seasonal produce list from a previous spring.
  • It's almost time for the farmers' markets to start selling good produce again. Presently I find myself in something of a culinary no man's land. I stare blankly at my little chalkboard, looking for ideas from the list of seasonal foods that are currently in my refrigerator, but there's nothing on it! Eventually, I shake out of my trance, get out my old recipe file or my Asian cookbooks, and find something perfectly suitable, but not necessarily seasonal.

    This somehow means that the checkout girls at the corner grocery see me daily at about 5 p.m. Not my usual way of planning a meal. But yesterday I did run into a woman speaking Italian to her baby in the store and had an entire conversation with her. As you can imagine, given my Italian skills, it was just chit chat, but I was glad I took the risk, and the baby smiled at me! Good practice for Garfagnana.

One of CZ's photos from last week. Blooming trees on a cold, gray day.

  • Spring is finally arriving, however much delayed, in New York City. The tree outside our window is starting to bloom, and the robins have arrived and are singing enthusiastically. I can hear them all the way from Riverside Park!

    These first warm days always bring out the contrasts: A young woman in a pink and green strapless sundress walks down the street in one direction and old one in a heavy coat and wool scarf walks up it in the other. One day this week it got up into the high seventies and CZ and I took a walk along the river. There was the usual good weather sea of humanity surrounding us--on skateboards, bikes, walking and running--as all our fellow New Yorkers, like us, crawled out from under their metaphorical rocks, soft and pale as slugs. Favorite sight of the day: A young woman in a strapless sequined gown and high heeled mules, walking across the street by the park. She had a beat-up backpack over her shoulders, and carried a bicycle pump in one hand.
  • I finally activated my blank, dormant Facebook account. I have ambiguous feelings about Facebook. On the plus side, I now know what some of my extended family members are up to, especially the younger ones who are newly out on their own. And I like my brother-in-law's photos. On the downside, the medium promotes fragmented thinking and it tempts me to keep up with the pace of the newsfeed. I'm sure I'll come to peace with it eventually, likely by using it for what it's worth, and mostly ignoring it.
  • It has been a challenging winter. I am being honed, taught by God, and pushed outside of my comfort zone. I have learned a lot about myself, not all of it pleasant. I've learned how very important it is to stay positive, even when everything inside screams the opposite; staying positive gives room for grace to grow. I've learned that thankfulness is often embodied in small things, but it's not just about the things themselves. It's about what they represent in concrete form, that God cares for us, and that we can use small things to care for others. Whenever we are still trying, still learning, there is hope. Joy comes in the morning.
More soon!

11 comments:

beth said...

Hi Laura,
I've missed you. I've been a little absent on the blog the last couple of weeks, too. Just a lot of living going on and not a lot of time or desire to write it all down.

That's exciting that you're going back to Italy.

Looking forward to hearing about your concrete developments.

Enjoy your spring!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you, Laura! I'm headed out the door, so I'll have to come back for a more thorough reading later. Just wanted you to know you've been missed! Blessings to you!

GretchenJoanna said...

It's always great to read your blog posts, however infrequently they may come. In this one you've made me look forward to your visit to Italy so that I can read any upcoming posts that will result; and you've reminded me to call that CSA I've been wanting to join. Life is rich - have a blessed Easter, and a safe trip, whenever that is happening. :-)

Dana in Georgia said...

Spring is refreshing!

In other news around the corner, I have a daughter in your neck of the woods :-) She's at CIA in Hyde Park for the next 21 months.

Blessings on your adventures with the musicians.

debbie bailey said...

I'm jealous! Italy again. I THINK we're going next spring, hopefully. I feel the same as you do about Facebook. I like to read what everyone is doing, but I rarely post. I make comments from time to time but not much else. I want to control it not the other way around. Glad to hear from you again.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your posts, Laura, and it's good to catch up with you.
First, I just really like each of your photos. The first makes me want to move to Italy the first opportunity that arises! The colors and minute details of the building and the fresh green grass topped off by the beautiful mountainous horizon coupled with your description of the village is simply wonderful. I am glad you get to return there so often--what a blessing!

I too am looking forward to fresh produce--just bought some lettuces that I hope to plant today, along with some radishes. My mouth waters just thinking about that fresh salad to come!

FB--likely my least favorite of recent cultural developments! ;)

I especially appreciate the things you shared in your last paragraph. I know something of what you've said there and can sympathize and rejoice with you in the truths God is teaching you! May He bless you and the teens on your travels. As always, I look forward to reading about them!~Silvana

btw..Blogger was giving me hard time, so hopefully this doesn't post more than once!

Laura A said...

What a nice bunch of comments!

Beth, I saw your nice update this morning.

GretchenJoanna and Debbie, there will almost certainly be more Italy pictures coming. The trip is in June/July. Where are you going next spring, Debbie?

I'm learning to go easy on the Facebook. It's still a good way to communicate with the cousins, though.

And Silvana, I have been enjoying D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones' Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure. He's on old-fashioned Welsh pastor, and the book has years of experience in it. Dr. Keller has been talking about ML-J for years, so I finally decided to read one of his books. I'm glad I have!

Laura A said...

Oh, and Dana--I confess to feeling very stupid, but where's Hyde Park? It sounds awfully familiar. If your daughter wants to get together, have her e-mail me. I think you have my address, right?

beth said...

Laura,
Lloyd-Jones is one of my husband's heroes. It was something L-J said that helped him clarify his call away from a career as an economist and professor into ministry. I confess, I haven't personally read his work, but I've heard lots and lots of references to him over the years. I really should add him to the always growing booklist.

GretchenJoanna said...

I read that book by Lloyd-Jones a long time ago and don't remember anything about it now, except that it was terribly refreshing in its honesty and depth. Probably worth another look.

Laura A said...

Beth and GretchJoanna, the more I read of Lloyd-Jones, the better I like him. Not because I relate to his style more than anyone else's or agree 100% with everything he says, but just because he speaks with so much first-hand spiritual experience. He's so pastor-ly!

Beth, I think it's really special that M L-J was instrumental in your husband's calling. What was it that he said?

And GretchenJoanna, I just happened to be reading Fr. Schmemann again last night for about thirty minutes and was struck by the difference in style and temperament between him and Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. Both are men of great faith, but they had different temperaments and backgrounds, and God had them in different places. God is so providential in the variety and placement of his witnesses!