Sunday, April 24, 2011

Everything Hinges on Easter

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


This is an MSNBC video of our pastor, Dr. Keller, talking to Martin Bashir about whether Easter is a symbol of hope. Here's what the Apostle Paul had to say about the resurrection:

"If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men." (I Cor. 15:19)

"I pray...that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in he saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead..." (Ephesians 1:18-19)

Dr. Keller said something like this in a recent sermon: People who met Jesus when he was on earth had one of three reactions: They hated him, they were terrified of him, or they threw themselves at his feet and worshiped him. No one who met Jesus said, "That was a very good lecture. I got a lot out of that."

For the Christian, everything hinges on Easter.

(Thanks to Pastor Scott Sauls for the video link.)

6 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Amen! He has trampled down death by death. Christ is risen!

Dana in Georgia said...

Enjoyed the link. Thanks for sharing because otherwise I would have missed this wonderful testimony on the *news*.

Also, I am enjoying Metaxas's 2010 Bonhoeffer biography for which Keller writes the forward.

Anonymous said...

The title of our pastor's sermon this morning was "Easter Changes Everything". Indeed it does, and all because of the resurrection. My thoughts all day have been along the lines of wishing everyday was Easter...and as Christians, it is, because Christ lives in us! However, it's nice when the rest of the world gets the chance for the darkness to clear just a bit for the truth to shine through...as it has here in this interview! Thanks for sharing!

beth said...

Laura,
Thanks for sharing the video. I've been listening to Dr. Keller on my morning walks lately and have so appreciated his teaching - both what he has to say and how he says it. You are fortunate indeed to have such a pastor and we are fortunate that there are sermons and talks online!

Hope you all had a joy filled Easter.

Laura A said...

Amen, GretchenJoanna!

Dana, Metaxas is a former Redeemerite himself. And a Veggie Tales voice, if I recall correctly ;-). I've been curious about that biography myself.

Beth, I have indeed enjoyed sitting under Dr. Keller's teaching for these past 13 years. Anywhere else we go, that teaching will always be there. And I listen to Dr. Keller frequently while riding my stationary bike. This morning, for instance!

Silvana, I have been trying to extend my Easter throughout the week as well.

And I wondered what Bashir's own attitude was as I watched this interview. He was supposed to interview Dr. Keller at a talk at the church about a month ago, and we attended that talk, but when we got there Mr. Bashir was sick and unable to do the interview, so Lauren Green (a Fox News reporter and Redeemerite) did the interview instead. I thought she did a good job, and she did give him some tough questions, though her style is different from Bashir's. So just now I looked up Bashir, and who knew? He goes to Redeemer, too!

Oh, the things you don't know when you're a member of a very large church!

Quotidian Life said...

We have been reading the book of Mark in family devotions and I was fortunate to have someone bring me Keller's new book, King's Cross, about a month ago so I was able to read it up through Easter. The book is wonderful and I'm considering a re-read soon. Have you read it yet?