Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Un altro guazzabuglio

Tower-building contest in physics class

Guazzabugli are all I seem to be capable of lately--but I suppose they communicate something of their own!
  • My mom is doing remarkably well. She had her surgery and is now cancer free and recovering. She is in good spirits, and I had a very nice trip down to see my family. Georgia is so beautiful in October--I forgot!
  • CZ is being evaluated for another joint-related practice injury. I think I'm beginning to understand what's going on now: She's loose-jointed, which means that, combined with hours of violin practice daily, she will always be at risk for injury even if her position is correct. The solution, the physical therapist says, is to strengthen the areas that are particularly injury prone. Meanwhile, she'll be getting an MRI and all that other doctor stuff, too.
  • I'm trying to stare down the possibility that CZ may have a lingering eye convergence issue that we may need to take care of as well.
  • I'm in the thick of preparing for our trip to Milan. Trying to communicate with people in another language, and in a business context, adds a whole new dimension to the preparations!
  • CZ's first orchestra concert of the season is this weekend, and my mother-in-law is coming up for it. Right after that CZ has two concerto competitions. One is the day before we leave for Milan.
  • I really liked this article on how the Narnia movies have changed C.S. Lewis' worldview, mostly through snarky dialogue between the characters.
  • Homeschooling? We just do what we can. The photo is from last Thursday's physics class. I'm still not sure exactly how those tower-building contests relate to the velocity of orbits, but they sure do get a lot of laughs!
  • Oh, and it's my birthday today!

7 comments:

Woman of the House said...

It's my birthday too! Many happy returns of the day!

Anonymous said...

Well, happy (1 day late) birthday! Hope is was a nice day for you. Glad to hear you mom is doing well and pray for her continued recovery as well as for C.Z.'s health needs. Looks like life continues to be quite full for you these days!

Quotidian Life said...

Happy Birthday a couple days late! I hope you enjoyed a lovely day. So glad to hear that you're mom's surgery went well and I'm sorry to hear that C.Z. is having violin-related pain. I am praying now. Busy days you are having!

Gumbo Lily said...

Happy Belated Birthday, dear Laura! And God's blessings on all the many things that are your plate at the moment. I'm glad to hear that Mom is doing well after her surgery.

Jody

Julia said...

Happy birthday, a few days late. Glad to hear all the good news, sorry to hear about the injury.

Laura A said...

Thanks very much for the birthday wishes, and thanks for your prayers, too. I a touched to hear that people I've never seen are praying for us.

And I'm happy to find that we share a birthday, Woman of the House--there don't seem to be many of us! Happy (belated) birthday to you, too!

I'll update as soon as I am able, likely in December. Meanwhile, I hope everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving!

debbie bailey said...

I hope you had a great birthday! I'm just now reading your post, so that's why I'm late with the happy wishes. I envy you your trip to Milan. I am ready to go ANYWHERE in Italy again. We were planning on this coming spring, but with a Chicago wedding in February, I doubt it.