Someone asked me how to do homeschooling paperwork the other day, so I pulled out my notebook full of quarterly reports. Quarterly reports are what New Yorkers have to turn in to the district to show that they're homeschooling all the required subjects. I have ten years worth of them now. I'm not a fan of regulation, but they really do provide a nice record of what we've done over the years. After my friend left, I started looking at them and noticing recurring themes. Remembering an applet I'd seen recently, I went to Wordle and plugged in some of the most common words on the reports that I knew represented CZ's genuine interests. And voila, it generated the image above!
I don't know how to make a big version of the Wordle yet, but you can click on the image to enlarge it. Otherwise, it might be sort of hard to see the individual words. When you create your own Wordles, you can play around with fonts and color schemes, and make words bigger or smaller according to how many times you enter them. You can also omit words. CZ tried entering in her entire ninth grade learning journal, and that was interesting, too! (See below. I omitted a few words for confidentiality.) Maybe you'd like to do one for yourself or for your own children. Have fun!

2 comments:
Thanks for sharing Wordle. What fun to make those! I just wish I could select the color for each word. :-) Denise
I love Wordles. I did one for all the things I love. I framed it and put it where I see it often for inspiration.
Post a Comment