Monday, December 14, 2009

He calls thing that are not as though they were...


Our pastor Dr. Keller gave an illustration in his Advent sermon yesterday using The Man of La Mancha. I've never seen the musical, but apparently it's where the song "Dream the Impossible Dream" comes from.

He described a scene in the musical in which Don Quixote meets a prostitute. But Don Quixote would rather be insane than accept a sordid world, so he treats her like a fine lady. At first she is bemused, then she is angry, and finally, she is transformed.

It may be a silly musical, but the illustration is powerful. I can really relate to Don Quixote's idealism, even though I suspect many people roll their eyes a bit behind my back.

I'm sure I get the balance wrong and come across as merely unrealistic, but Jesus doesn't. He is the only one who can fully enter into our reality without compromising his holiness. That's why he is "...the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were." (Romans 4:17) That's one of my favorite verses. I am so glad he took on our sordid reality, to rescue us and make us his beauty. It really is a fairy tale come true.

Here are some photos from our tree decorating yesterday. At Christmas, our homes get dressed up like fine ladies, too! Our ornaments may be paper and tinsel instead of fine jewels, but they reflect the glory of God, because he has entered in.



7 comments:

kelli said...

we love Dr. Keller! (somehow i'm not surprised you attend that church!)

the story between Don Quixote and Dulcinea is so beautiful. the Man of La Mancha, starring Peter O'Toole, is the best version i've seen! granted, i grew up listening to the soundtrack from it, but still:) i do think you would enjoy it.

i really enjoyed this post, Laura! thanks:)

Unknown said...

Thankyou for sharing that. I needed to hear it. Linda

Anonymous said...

What a really beautiful post full of lovely thoughts. And such pretty pictures, too.

Thanks for sharing this today. I am inspired by it.

Susan

Lisa Richards said...

**I am so glad he took on our sordid reality, to rescue us and make us his beauty. It really is a fairy tale come true.**

I love how you said this. We really love John Eldredge in our family because his books make it so clear that we really are living a fairy tale come true. Lots of drama, adventure, sorrow, uncertainty, but we, as believers, are promised a happy ending!

Merry Christmas to you New Yorkers!

debbie bailey said...

This world would be transformed if everyone treated each other like they were lovely. I don't know that I've ever see ALL of Don Quixote. It's going into my Netflix queue right now.

And that verse in Romans really means a lot to me. Thanks for pointing it out. Funny that no matter how many times you read the Bible, new truths keep popping up to surprise and delight.

Good post, Laura.

Laura A said...

Thanks, ladies! I was really just riffing off a number of Dr. Keller's sermons, but the gospel is magical no matter how you put it.

Thanks for the Man of La Mancha recommendation, Kelli. Maybe it would make a good Christmas download.

Hi Linda, and welcome!

Hi Susan! Glad you liked the photos.

Lisa, I have read some John Eldridge, but it was a long time ago. Perhaps I should revisit him soon.

Merry Christmas to you Minnesotans! (Did I get that right?)

Debbie, I thought about what you said various times during the day after I read it, as I'm trying to work the sermon into my own heart. And the Word of God is indeed living and active! (Heb. 4:12)

Merry Christmas, everyone! (If I don't post again before that.)

Gumbo Lily said...

I'm so glad to see your banner of the nativity up. Love it! I enjoyed this post too. Thank you.

Jody