Friday, October 9, 2009

You know it's fall when...


...you see the Winter Wren

...you go to the park and all the fall birds have arrived--White-throated Sparrows, Juncos, and Titmice. The ubiquitous and year-round House Sparrows have started flying around in puffed and close-knit flocks, and if you look closely, you see a migrant or two, like this Black-throated Blue Warbler, stopping on its way south:


The little Winter Wren (at top) is only 4 inches long. When it stretches out its neck at the foot of a tree (they're bush dwellers), its whole body moves. It's not really big enough to move just its head. Luckily, its tail sticks up for balance. I saw one Tuesday--a real treat, because I've only seen one once before!

Some birds are just around in unusual numbers, like the Phoebe and the Blue Jay. The Robins haven't left yet, but the Grackles have arrived, and so has the Sapsucker. Even the Pigeons are flying around in circles instead of barely getting out of the way of the buses. It's a gregarious, bustling moment.

But I'm holding out for the Golden-crowned Kinglets, my favorites of all the songbirds. They usually pass through in flocks at about this time:


All photos from Wikipedia Commons

UPDATE, October 11: We saw our Kinglets today! They were all over the North Woods of Central Park, both the Golden-crowned and the Ruby-crowned. They were extremely cooperative, hanging upside down off branches at close range and at eye-level. They almost seemed to be following us!

We also saw another Winter Wren. We were actually there because someone had reported a Sedge Wren, a bird which hasn't been seen in NYC in forty years. We knew where it had been seen this morning, but alas, it was a no-show. Still, a lovely day with lots of birds!

***
Whenever we've had a moment this week, C.Z. and I have been looking at everything we can find under the microscope. I doubt this is systematic enough to "count" as lab science, but it's really fun! This week we've seen hair, mold, an onion tip, leaf cells, bacteria, diatoms, other unidentified micro-organisms, and a Euglena. I suppose high school science teachers wouldn't be impressed, but I thought it was hilarious when C.Z. put down her violin right in the middle of Nutcracker practice, put her eye up to the microscope and started talking to the light-shy Euglena, whom we had to constantly chase down, "Oh, you're so cute! I see you found something to eat. That's great!" And who knew that protists could dance to "The Waltz of the Flowers"?

5 comments:

kelli said...

Love this post (and your last one)!

Our little wrens come and build nests in the funniest, coziest little places...shirtsleeves in the garage, the grill, next to the lamp. We just see them everywhere! They seem to have no fear and oh, do they ever remind of Jenny Wren!

I love that warbler...he is gorgeous! I live in the south, but I have yet to see one of those.

And I hope you see your Kinglet. Wow...they are awesome!

We had about 18 cardinals..moms, dads and babies from their 2 different broods. Only a few are left. But this morning we did enjoy watching 3 very young squirrels try to figure out how to get seed out of their feeder!

Your love of birds is so inspiring and contagious:)

Laura A said...

Hi Kelli! Being from the South also, I know your little Carolina Wrens! They are indeed little Jennys (I think you already know all our favorite books!). The Winter Wren is smaller and shyer, and the ones I've seen look smokier and browner than the one in the photo (which looks more like a Carolina to me).

Unfortunately, when I lived in the South, I didn't pay as much attention to birds as I do now, so I really only know the ones I see there when we visit in July and December, but I think the Black-throated Blue does migrate through the South in spring and fall. You'll see him under nice canopies of trees, often a smaller hardwood.

I see two warbler species every time I go to GA, the Yellow-Rumped and the Pine Warbler. I think that kinglets winter there, too! They like to hang around with the Chickadees. And bluebirds, and wrens, of course!

And don't cardinals look great in the Southern winter rain? I think it's great that you got to see babies! And oh, those squirrels!

Oh, heavens, I've written a book! It doesn't take much to get me started...;-).

Anonymous said...

I always so enjoy your bird posts, and I also love the microscope fun. I think our microscope was used for everything but serious lab study! :-) It's hard to think of anything that wasn't put under our microscope!

CZ's comments made me laugh. :-)

You're making me want to go spend some time outside just looking around and seeing what I can see. I've been distracted by a sweet little girl this week!

Susan

Gumbo Lily said...

It must be such fun to see the new migrants coming in to Central Park and knowing that some will transfer south. The bird I'm seeing most here lately is the Common Flicker. I love him and hear him in the trees all the time. I think most of the others have flown away. I did spy one meadowlark still here, but it's so cold and snowy that I doubt they'll hang out here much longer.

I like your microscope "class" and think it's every bit as interesting as a high school class. Surely more fun!

Jody

Dana in Georgia said...

So enjoy your birding posts....

Carolina Wrens are one of my favorites. I have at least one nesting family in my back yard.