Every now and then, one discovers a new source of wisdom that makes connections between what one already halfway knows and what one hasn't yet imagined. With my attention lately pulled this way and that by everything from the logistics of running a household to the brain changes of middle age, I particularly appreciate any book or essay that can help me make these connections and bring the half-digested ideas lying around in my mind into a coherent whole.
I think I've just discovered one of those sources: The Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) Student Guides. I bought the whole set of them a couple of weeks ago because, knowing how long it takes me to develop my thoughts on any subject, I have begun collecting articles and books on college for C.Z. Though I've only been reading about college at a leisurely pace over the past three months or so, I've already found my ideas on the subject sharpening. So it pays to seek out books that help develop one's purpose, whatever your stage of life.
As is clear from my last post, I would like for other students, including my daughter, to have a better idea of why they're going to college than I did when I went to art school--to be able to form, and then to have the courage to live out, their convictions. And that is exactly what the first volume I've read, A Student's Guide to Liberal Learning, by James V. Schall, S.J., helps to accomplish. It's really more of a long essay than a book, but it provides a whole framework for how and why one should educate himself in the classics, the books that help one think about what life is about in the big sense. Schall's premise is that there is something wrong with liberal learning as it is presented in colleges these days, especially in elite colleges, so students needs to take matters into their own hands and find an overarching purpose through reading on their own.
Schall writes:
Eric Voegelin, in his book on Plato, said that after the death of Socrates in Athens, philosophy fled from the city to the Academy. We live in a time evidently when truth is fleeing the Academy.
...While uneasily following, probably for an eventual job, whatever curriculum he has selected or is given, [a perceptive student] will nonetheless begin to look about on his own. He needs a certain practical good judgment. At a deeper level, he searches for some way to go; he must, in other words, find "another sort of learning."
I remember doing just that in college through reading the Bible and the works of C.S. Lewis repeatedly. Disturbed by legalistic street preachers who provided hours of entertainment for the beer-swilling set, I remember discovering Isaiah's passage about the Messiah not snuffing out the bruised reed. Harassed by classmates and professors who espoused a conveniently materialistic worldview, I remember exactly where I was (in a bus barreling down hairpin turns in Tuscany) and how merrily relieved I felt when I read Lewis' argument that miracles are, by definition, not typical according to the laws of nature, so the argument that they're impossible because they break the laws of nature is a straw man. Like people in the first century didn't know the the Virgin Birth was unusual? That much is in Mary's reply to the angel!
If reading Lewis did this much to help me, what more might I have learned if I'd know about a few other sane authors as well? For I had no idea as yet about the host of other voices out there waiting to be discovered--Chesterton, Belloc, Walker Percy, Russell Kirk, and so many others. They are a cloud of witnesses, not hiding from difficult questions, but confronting them head on and then passing down their wisdom to others.
Schall's book, and all the other student guides on various subjects, are short guides to what the life of the mind should ideally be, but in a framework that isn't likely to be presented in the modern college. Schall's book contains many inset boxes with suggestions for other books "to keep sane by." He says that good books almost always beget other book suggestions. He talks about how valuable re-reading is, because questions that perplex one at 20, 30 and even 40 might become clear at 50 or 60. He even forgives the reader for accumulating more books than he can realistically read. (This is my kind of author!) I wish I'd had these guides when I was 19, but I'm happy enough to have them now. I hope through them to bring together a few more thoughts that will help keep me on the right track, as much in middle and old age as they might have during youth, because my view is to eternity.

6 comments:
I am especially eager to read Fr. Schall's book, especially as Trip is interested in G-town. I see that Fr. Schall does not teach theology, but politics. Very interesting. Thanks for the nudge to pick up the book!
The college search is quite an experience, and going through it now a second time with a child who is enrolled in high school, I have concluded it is a way better experience from a homeschooling POV. I think we were way more connected with Libby's strengths and weaknesses than we are with Trip's, and we didn't need to fight with anyone about where she might apply with a reasonable view to getting an acceptance letter. I dread the upcoming encounter with his guidance counselor (a very nice man, but with a different outlook on education).
MacBeth, I almost commented on the photo you posted yesterday of Trip being followed, perhaps even hounded, by St. Ignatius (I presume). Very clever!
Schall also has another, older book, called *Another Sort of Learning,* that I've been eyeing for a while. I liked this one so much that if it promises to add new material, I might buy the other, too.
I started the Guide to the Core Curriculum this morning while sitting in orchestra. It looks helpful, also.
What would the guidance counselor tell you to do differently? Would he simply steer you towards more mainstream choices?
I love Father Schall's writing. We have his Another Sort of Learning -- it is one of the first books my husband acquired as we were beginning our own library in our married life. I plan to read it again this year.
I agree with MacBeth (neat to see her commenting on here though I shouldn't be surprised since you are from the same territory!) that the college search is quite an experience! I was tired of it after my OWN college search and so going through it 4 more times (two placed so far, 4 left) is not exactly high on my anticipation list. I agree though that it's not really much easier with a school-child. I'm surprised that in spite of Sean's school counsellor's best efforts, a lot of the kids in his high school seem quite unfocused about what adult life holds for them.
I'm trying not to succumb to the college-admissions-on-steroids phenomenon that life in Manhattan seems to promote. Bob and I have even told C.Z. that she can take more years at home to to prepare for college, if she's using her time well--just to get away from that make-the-train-or-else mentality.
But I also want to at least offer her a little more imaginative framework for her search than I had at 18. There's got to be a good balance. And you who have been there are certainly welcome to add your advice!
MacBeth, I confess my ignorance: I didn't know that Schall was at Georgetown. Just got that part and found his webpage--thanks!
I have Another Sort of Learning-- the book that you and Willa mentioned-- and I love this book. I liked it so well that I bought copies for my kids (the oldest was in college at the time).
Interesting post! (I wish I could write a more specific comment than that, but, as I've mentioned before, my online time is very limited.)
Susan
Post a Comment