Tuesday, December 16, 2008

And the verdict is...


Figures from the Neapolitan creche at the Metropolitan Museum.  The bridge with the pig on it is in a different spot this year, and the figures in the foreground are rearranged or different.

They change it!  We're absolutely certain that they change it!  The nativity scene at the Metropolitan Museum, that is.  C.Z. and I went there today, and we noticed right away that the bridge with the pig on it was in a different position than it was last year.  And a young page boy in yellow boots was on a different side of town, and there was a cherub flying out of a waterfall who was cleverly positioned to look like he was grabbing at a cow's horn, and there was a man sleeping on some steps, and another with some cymbals where last year there had only been the cymbals on the ground, and much more...

Phew!  Finally, a ten-year-old mystery solved.  And just in time, too, because the no photography sign was back up and they were enforcing it.  They don't want anyone to know!  

I'm sure you all must be every bit as excited as we are.  

C.Z. and I also had a great time looking at the new medieval wing, including some great artifacts from barbarian days, and a very Lord of the Rings-looking Viking sword with a faded inscription on the blade.

And then, in another exhibit, we found an Amati violin from 1558. It's possibly the first violin ever made.  There are only twenty extant Amatis in the world, which could explain their fabulous price.  C.Z., of course, wanted to know why they kept it in a museum, when anyone could see that it was meant to be played.  

The Amati violin we saw today at the Metropolitan Museum.  Image from Wikipedia.

And then we walked home through Central Park in the sleet.  It was marvelously bleak out, and we saw a hawk eating something (I won't say what) in a tree.  And now it's snowing, and sticking! A very nice week-and-a-day before Christmas, this has been.

P.S.  I've just realized that if you click on the creche picture, it blows up to screen-size.  It's not the greatest quality (I was snapping quickly in low light), but you can see more that way.  Have fun playing "I Spy"!  

3 comments:

MacBeth Derham said...

I can't believe they display that violin strung! I wonder how often it gets played.

Thanks for the details on the creche. I love to visit the Met this time of year, though once I was so busy admiring the tree that I lost little Annika, who stood in the middle of the room and cried. Oops!

Laura A said...

C.Z. thought the strings looked old, but I couldn't tell. I guess it would just look too strange without them.

They do have a program in which musicians give concerts on the museum's instruments. I haven't looked into it lately, but once we once saw a performance on that huge pedal harpsichord. As you might imagine, there was a lot of Bach.

And I'm sure C.Z. would agree with Annika that having your mom get mesmerized in the museum is a frustrating experience. I think my main memory of the first year of museum membership was that of having my forefinger pulled out of joint! But it's a sweet memory now.

Gumbo Lily said...

I always love hearing about the creche at the Met. I'm so intrigued by it and wish I could've been there with you looking at all the "little things" you describe so well.

I wish you could've snapped a photo. Darn!

Merry Holy Christmastime,
Jody